terminal ring for battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terminal ring for battery

I want to change my positive and negative battery cable ends to a terminal ring. I have looked at heavy duty lugs that need to be soldered or you need a really expensive crimp tool. The cables are 4 AWG and I found these at HD. Would these work or just a waste of my time?

Ring Terminal Vinyl 4 AWG Stud 3/8 In. 3/Clam-CPGI-8-52266-4-3 at The Home Depot

THEY THAT GO DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS 1623-1923
    Dave S. S/W Louisiana
    2002 Larson SEI 190 fish 'n ski. 2002 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke
    Sold: 2000 Odyssey Lextra 2102 Pontoon Boat, 2000 Johnson 90hp J90PLSSE
    Sold: 1987 Rinker V190 4.3L 175 HP Alpha One Gen one

Re: terminal ring for battery

No, those are not cable lugs used on large cables. You must get the lugs for the proper size cable, then they need to be crimped and if you like soldered. ABYC and USCG rules note that solder only connections should not be used.

http://www.iboats.com/Tinned-Copper-...-view_id.21110

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/QUI...MC4?Pid=search
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by DRS4164 View Post
      I want to change my positive and negative battery cable ends to a terminal ring. I have looked at heavy duty lugs that need to be soldered or you need a really expensive crimp tool. The cables are 4 AWG and I found these at HD. Would these work or just a waste of my time?

Ring Terminal Vinyl 4 AWG Stud 3/8 In. 3/Clam-CPGI-8-52266-4-3 at The Home Depot
      Ayuh,.... While I've got the crimper for the job,...

Before I did, I've found a little creativity, a hammer, 'n chisel will also do the job...

For battery lugs, I tin the fittin', crimp, then solder...

Comment

What are your opinions on this: Shop Lincoln Electric Lug/Cable Crimping Tool at Lowes.com
        and these: Lynx/3/8 in. hole 4 gauge copper lug (05327) | Battery Cable and Lug | AutoZone.com

Dave S. S/W Louisiana

Comment

Those will both work fine. If the cables are old, the chances are you wouldn't get solder to stick to them anyway. You would probably end up melting all the insulation off the cable and still no solder stiking.
          Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

For a couple of crimps, the hammer-type can do the job but if you plan to do more (a boat rewiring, with dual batteries, switch, etc), a crimping tool is the way to go Hydraulic Wire Crimping Tool At $50 or so, that's the best investment I've made. You should also use tinned copper lugs, not simply copper ones, if you want to avoid heavy oxydation that can lead to overheating, starter problems, etc. Marine Battery Cable Lugs - iboats Crimped then heat shrink is the way to go!

1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 17 I
            2005 Evinrude E-Tec 90hp

Fishing isn't a matter of life and death.... It's much more important.

Comment

If you go the hammer and chisel approach, make three "crimps". Make two on one side, one at each end of the crimp barrel, and a third crimp on the opposite side of the terminal, midway between the two crimps on the other side. This will create a solid staggered crimp that the cable can't pull out of.

Comment

At the moment I only have 2 crimps to do, just the positive and negative battery cables. To save $38 I will go for the hammer and chisel one and then heat shrink them.

I will take saumon's advice and go with the tinned copper lugs. Only needing 2 of them I will get 4..... need some room for screwing up one or 2 of them.

Dave S. S/W Louisiana

Comment

I investigated the crimper further and decided to forget about the hammer and chisel on. The hydraulic crimper comes with a number of dies so it can be a lot more useful than only for the 2 lugs I currently need to crimp. Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave S. S/W Louisiana

Comment

Don:

Not sure why you say they should not be used on large cables. These are design for #4 stranded wire and a 3/8" stud. I have used these with no issue. I like the ones that you found in I-Boats, and they will also work. In both cases, I would strongly recommend solder. Eventually a crimp may oxidize and then get hot. This is true even if you use the right crimper.

I used to work for a circuit breaker manufacturer and for aircraft testing we were required to use crimp terminals and not to solder them. They would eventually get hot. The ones we used for high current testing (hundreds of amps, short time) testing were very similar to the i-boats parts. BTW, the actual aircraft terminals were all crimped, not soldered. Not sure why they did not fail, but suspect that the issue was that we were continually screwing and unscrewing the test terminals, and the aircraft ones were a one time, permanent connection.

TerryMSU

Originally posted by Don S View Post
                    No, those are not cable lugs used on large cables. You must get the lugs for the proper size cable, then they need to be crimped and if you like soldered. ABYC and USCG rules note that solder only connections should not be used.

Tinned Copper Battery Cable Terminals - iboats

QUICK CABLE Crimper Tool, Mallet Activated, 8 to 4/0ga - Battery Accessories - 5LMC4|4266-828 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Comment

If that matter, as you seems to be inclined to buy a crimper, the one I got seems to have more dies than the Harbor Freight one, for the same price. They range from 4 mm2 to 70 mm2 (i.e. 12 to 2/0 AWG) Hydraulic Crimping Tool Kit 8 Ton Electric Wire Crimper | eBay

Hope this help.

Edit: forget it, it's the same number of dies, my error!

1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 17 I
                      2005 Evinrude E-Tec 90hp

Fishing isn't a matter of life and death.... It's much more important.

Comment

I would normally say just get new cables made.

Or get a tool like this:
                        Hydraulic Wire Crimping Tool

Make sure you use shrink sleeve afterwards to seal off the crimp to moisture.
                        1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                        Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                        Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                        "Common sense is not very common"
                        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Using a heat shrink sleeve seems to be the only way to really keep out moisture and are easy enough to use. IF you remember to put them on before crimping. One time I forgot to put one on and never made that mistake again.

Dave S. S/W Louisiana

Comment

You aren't putting the ring ends on to use the wing nut terminals on a battery, right?
                            1976 Rogers Custom Boats 18' "Bonneville" W/ Chevy 454/ Berkeley 12JC

Care Taker of 1976 Glastron V-184 Crestflight W/ Volvo 170B/280 I.O.
                            & 1969 Starcraft W/ 1956 Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin.

Comment

Trying to reuse old cable is a bad idea. You can hardly buy the materials for the price these guys can make them for.

GenuineDealz.com - Marine Electrical, Boat Wire & Cable, Custom Battery Cables

Comment

Working...
                              X