Starting battery suggestions ?

johninmo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello it's time for a starting battery this year I was curious if anyone had any suggestions I run my electronics, bilge, livewells, Lights off of this battery as well I have a dual purpose (the one needing replaced) someone told me they use a trolling battery I didn't know if that was a bad idea I'm not sure how many cranking amps they come in with either battery how many cranking amps and reserve should I be looking for or just let me know what you use and if you like it

Thank you

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starting battery suggestions ?

Hi, John,

I have had consistent good luck with Walmart's Marine Maxx dual purpose batteries. The big yellow one.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Get the largest capacity that will fit in the area where it goes that you can afford.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

John...my cranking battery runs all electrics on boat minus the trolling motor (separate bttrys). I will run the stereo a good 4 - 6 hrs at the beach several days a week with engine off and at times nav lights and fish finder while night fishing 3 -5 hrs. It is charged only by the alternator (no on board charger hooked to it). It is indoor kept during off season, had since 6/2000. Have not had any issue at all so far. Cost was $75 arpx in June 2000, might be slightly higher now.
It is labeled as a dual purpose battery (??? always wondered what that meant :confused: ) but anyway....
Duralast part # DP-DL 27
Marine Cranking Amp (MCA) = 1000
Amp hr = 115
Reserve capacity = 180

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Depends on what you are trying to start. I use a marine deep discharge battery to start a 7.4L carbed engine so I have no need for a battery labeled as a true starting battery. If my engine was fuel injected, a true starting battery may be needed since FI is more sensitive to voltage drop.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I will be replacing my 2 batteries in my boat this year. I will be buying the Sears Platinum marine batteries. They have a 10% sale right now but they had better sales last year. They are basically the Odyssey battery. Best battery to buy in my opinion.

For a 75Hp carb, you can start that with almost anything. Deep discharge or dual purpose would work.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Trolling motor a deeo cycle. Main battery in your cade should be the largest deep cycke you have room for. Yes you can use a deep cycle for starting an outboard.

johninmo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have plenty of room in my compartment I know you give up cranking amps when you get a deep cycle how many cranking amps do I need to start my motor without any problems? I have had too many cold mornings of a dragging battery lol

johninmo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have plenty of room in my compartment I know you give up cranking amps when you get a deep cycle how many cranking amps do I need to start my motor without any problems? I have had too many cold mornings of a dragging battery lol

wrench 3

Commander

Any 27 series deep cycle or dual purpose should do the job for you, but bigger is always better. I've worked for companies selling a lot of different batteries over the years and for my money you cant beet an Interstate battery.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm with bruceb58 & jhebert on this subject. I have had both lead-acid and AGM batteries and I'm an AGM fan all the way. Yes, they are more money but.... they last longer (age wise), hold a charge longer, don't matter what way they're mounted (except upside down), are more durable (rough water & vibration) and can be used as a starting or trolling battery. I have three Odyssey batteries in my boat and bruceb58 is correct in identifying the Diehard's as made by Odyssey (I researched the heck out of the subject before deciding). If you do decide to go with AGM's, charging by the alternator is fine, but if you use an external charger it should be a "smart" charger as AGM's charge best using that staged charging technology.