hour meter works bur hourglass not flashing/time not recording?

mike1072

Recruit
I just noticed today that the hourmeter in my boat seems to have stopped working. The hours still show, but the 'hourglass' is not flashing and the hours are not being recorded. I tried turning the boat on and off but no change. Any ideas on what could have caused this to happen, and how to repair this? I realize some may see this as a 'good thing' but I would prefer for the hours to remain true:) Thanks for your input!

NYBo

Admiral
Re: hour meter works bur hourglass not flashing/time not recording?

Welcome to iboats, Mike!:cool:

Some more details might help (e.g. type of motor and meter), but I'm guessing that the meter isn't getting a signal. There are likely three wires to the meter: battery +, battery -, and signal. The signal could be from the ignition switch or from the oil pressure circuit on the motor.

mike1072

Recruit

It is a Sea Ray 185 with a carb'd 4.3 mercruiser. Not sure on the gauge to be honest. So should I check the wire connections on the back of the gauge first, or go into the engine compartment? Thanks for your help!

NYBo

Admiral

Start at the gauge.

mike1072

Recruit

Just got back from the marina. Looked under the dash and jiggled the wiring, etc. Nothing seemed loose, but suddenly I had a 'flashing' hourglass again! I did notice after about a half hour the hourglass stopped again, so I may need to get under there and make sure everything is tightened. Thanks for your input!