How to reach sender unit on Lund 1600 adventure pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanMac

Recruit
Cross posted under iboats Lund thread:

I apologize. Didn't get a response. Hope reposting under electrical would catch more eyes, eliciting a response.

thanks,
mike

Have a Lund 2000 1600 adventure pro Sport with a Honda 50. Following basic Fall/Spring maintenance procedures, the boat has been flawless. Since coming out of storage in the early spring, the fuel gauge needle is pinned passed the Full markings. I have had no time to troubleshoot. I plan on using this upcoming weekend to resolve the issue. Using some excellent notes found in this forum, I will verify whether it is an electrical issue or a sender unit issue.
I believe the fuel tank in the centre beam area of the boat, somewhere in the center of the boat.
A quick look at the boat yesterday morning, I searched the carpeted floor. Though it was in the early morning light, I didn't see an easy access to the fuel tank. I was hoping someone might have some pointers, or a picture of how to access the sender unit. If I will be required to replace, I'd like to get the model # off it to ensure I purchase the correct replacement. Should I purchase a direct replacement from Lund or would an aftermarket manufactured unit be advisable?

Thanks, and happy boating!

NYBo

Admiral
Re: How to reach sender unit on Lund 1600 adventure pro

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

The most likely cause of the problem is the sender wire being shorted to the negative battery lead. This could be as simple as the terminal on the sender being turned so that it hits the tank ground, or a similar situation right at the gauge.

Where is the fuel filler?

CanMac

Recruit

Thanks for responding. Yes, I will verify the connections at the battery (which sits at the rear of boat). I'll also verify the wiring under the gauge area. Fortunately, it was well laid out by lund. I added an hour meter in there during its first season.
The fuel filler is in the front of the boat, port side. Filler cap. Though I have no idea, I'm assuming I'd have to remove the floor to get at the sender unit. it would be fantastic if it is not that complicated. Any pointers or 'been there, done that" would be beneficial...

As per your suggestion, I will verify my electrical this weekend.

Thanks,
mike

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

The most likely cause of the problem is the sender wire being shorted to the negative battery lead. This could be as simple as the terminal on the sender being turned so that it hits the tank ground, or a similar situation right at the gauge.

Where is the fuel filler?

NYBo

Admiral

Let me clarify: There will be a "ground" wire going to the tank. This is usually connected to one of the mounting screws for the sending unit. The wire from the sending unit, usually pink, attaches to the post on the center of the sending unit. If this pink wire or its ring terminal shorts to the tank, the needle will peg "full". Likewise, if the nut holding this pink wire to the sender is tightened to much, it can crush the insulating washer inside the sender and short it out. Once you get to the sending unit, remove the pink wire, turn the ignition to "on" and see if the needle pegs. If it does, the short is probably at the gauge. If not, the problem is at or in the sending unit.

I can't help you specifically on how to access the tank. Can you post some pictures of the area above it?

Csprague6

Recruit
Was wondering if you new how to get to the sending unit. I also have a Lund 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.