Just Purchased 1985 Bayliner Capri w/ 2.1 Volvo 260 Volvo Penta Out Drive

chpten8

Cadet
New to the forums, just thought I'd drop in and say hi. So I just purchased this boat and it's got potential only paid $400, for the boat and trailer. Maybe we can make this a community project she needs quite a bit of attention. It's been sitting since 1997 and now I changed the battery cables and battery and am not receiving any sign of power anywhere on the boat, when I connect my power probe ground is available at the block and other areas, the ignition switch is receiving power, but when I turn the key to engage the starter, absolute silence, no horn no bilge pump, no blower, no lights nothing. Is there a place on here I can DL the wiring schematics for this particular vessel?

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Just Purchased 1985 Bayliner Capri w/ 2.1 Volvo 260 Volvo Penta Out Drive

You may be in for more than just a little "fixer upper". Please check the transom, deck, and the stringers so you know exactly what you're dealing with.

As far as the electrical, check the keyswitch for continuity in all positions. Check the main engine wiring harness connector for corrosion. Check all fuses. Rotate the fuses in the holder to break off the film of corrosion that could have built up.

If you're getting power at the keyswitch then the problem is most likely in the dash electrical. Summary: Check keyswitch, clean fuses and check for bad ones, clean connectors.

chpten8

Cadet

Will get on that first thing in the afternoon tomorrow, the decking is no good, already knowing that, not sure of the stringers or bulk heads.... This is going to be an every day thing. posting pictures of the boat, please hold all negative comments as i'm already in a trance with this boat/project. but thanks in advance for support as some of you will see the potential in this boat.

chpten8

Cadet

5G75E75K13E93G63K7c743d7078589c6a1e4e.jpgmini-IMG_4413.jpgmini-IMG_4414.jpgmini-IMG_4415.jpgmini-IMG_4416.jpg

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey don't worry, I'm in neck deep in my own project with an overhaul of pretty much the same exact boat (1984 Bayliner Capri 2.1L AQ125A 270). Mine was in about the same condition as yours, maybe even worse. I had moss growing in what was left of the floor :D. I didn't intend to sound negative, it's just a good idea to see what exactly you're dealing with before you start a project like this. I agree, there's potential in these boats. I really like that color scheme.

The connectors are a weak point in the electrical system. I too had issues with no power getting sent to the gauges, starter, et cetera even when I had power at the switch. What finally did it for me was breaking the corrosion on the fuses by rotating them, but you may need to go through all the connectors and wiggle them or something so they make contact.

Consider starting a resto thread once you get going on it.

chpten8

Cadet

Will do and I see your not too far from my location, and you did not sound negative, I was just throwing a warning or request out due to posting pictures, maybe we can assist hand in hand on this also I seen a guy on youtube.com he went all out on his boat here's a link he did a complete restoration in 7 months http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_oiejeTvOg&feature=g-vrec just go through his videos he has about 20-30, 15-20 minute long videos, very helpful and educational

chpten8

Cadet

I'd like to see the progress on your boat and how far you've come along on it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can get an electrical diagram of the "Engine Electrical" from Volvo. Also be aware that there are two electrical systems on a boat. The second is the "Boat Harness". Only the instruments are powered from the ignition switch. Instrument wiring is covered in the Generic Boat Wiring Diagram in the stickies at the top of this forum (not the top of this page). Other accessories are powered via a separate pair of wires (#8 or 10 gauge) that run directly from the battery to the fuse panel at the helm. If you have power at the ignition switch, check for power at the "S" (starter) terminal on the switch with the key in the START position. If present, then check for power at the small terminal on the starter solenoid. If present, make sure the solenoid is grounded. If not present, there is a wiring issue between the switch and the solenoid. You can "jump" the solenoid to verify that it works. Touch a heafty piece of wire to the large POSITIVE battery cable connection and the small terminal on the solenoid. The starter should engage. If it doesn't but the solenoid clicks, then the starter needs attention.

chpten8

Cadet

Ok, just went outside and did a little work found out that the Alternator is frozen so I removed that. I jumped the starter with my power probe complete silence. found the ground strap wasn't grounding properly, ground voltage was at about 9.7, re-grounded and all is good now. however, I still have the electrical issue no power to nothing on the boat, I checked the fuses and am considering upgrading the fuse box, as this fuse box contains the glass fuses, i personally am not a huge fan of. None of the fuses were/are blown. So onto the next step.....also, just posted a video on youtube.com of the boat.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will do and I see your not too far from my location, and you did not sound negative, I was just throwing a warning or request out due to posting pictures, maybe we can assist hand in hand on this also I seen a guy on youtube.com he went all out on his boat here's a link he did a complete restoration in 7 months http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_oiejeTvOg&feature=g-vrec just go through his videos he has about 20-30, 15-20 minute long videos, very helpful and educational

Oh yeah, Friscoboater. He comes on this website, I think I've seen his posts here. He's in Frisco, Texas from what I gather. He has some good videos.

I'd like to see the progress on your boat and how far you've come along on it.

Here is a link for my resto thread. I don't want to hijack this post or anything, but you asked, so hopefully posting this isn't inappropriate.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=555694

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, just went outside and did a little work found out that the Alternator is frozen so I removed that. I jumped the starter with my power probe complete silence. found the ground strap wasn't grounding properly, ground voltage was at about 9.7, re-grounded and all is good now. however, I still have the electrical issue no power to nothing on the boat, I checked the fuses and am considering upgrading the fuse box, as this fuse box contains the glass fuses, i personally am not a huge fan of. None of the fuses were/are blown. So onto the next step.....also, just posted a video on youtube.com of the boat.

Post a link to the youtube video if you can.

So just to clarify, you have voltage at the keyswitch? If you have voltage at the 12v terminal, do you have voltage at the other terminals when you turn the key to on and start?

I have the repair manual for this boat, later I will try to take a picture of the wiring diagram for you.

chpten8

Cadet

Hey buddy, just seen your resto, nicely done, heres my contact info, I give it to you in hopes we can rapid things up, I will still post on iboats as well to keep the community informed, but I just now decided to tear the engine compartment out and really tackle the motor, I have the same issue with the transom the gap on the lower half so I know the motor is going to have to be separated from the outboard. I'm trying to get her water ready for mid August big family event so here is my number XXX-XXX-XXXX text anytime. heading outside to tear engine compartment out

chpten8

Cadet

Need an alternator for the boat, and was wondering what's the vehicle application

chpten8

Cadet

Just decided gonna pull the motor and out drive out of the boat and get them rebuilt but am wondering what upgrades can be done to the motor and or the out drive, or can I swap the motor out completely with a larger cubic inch motor. I'm a great vehicle mechanic, just not marine inclined but on the mechanic portions I'm sure there's not too much difference, it's the additional things I'm worried about all comments welcome. :)

chpten8

Cadet

Just pulled head, and valves look good as well as cylinders none the less its dark outside of will post a few pics in a few minutes relocating head to disassemble and ready for the machine shop tomorrow

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

How's it going chpten8?

Swapping out for a larger motor would be a lot more complicated than it sounds.

Do NOT use an automotive anything on the electrical/ignition system. If gas fumes build up in the hull an auto version of an alternator can cause it to ignite.

chpten8

Cadet

So noted.

So, since in going to fully rebuild this motor and out drive what can I do to get more performance and horsepower out of this 4 cylinder engine?

chpten8

Cadet

Also, I need a new alternator, the shop called me and stated this one isn't rebuildable so a new one is I have order

Bondo

Staff member

So noted.

So, since in going to fully rebuild this motor and out drive what can I do to get more performance and horsepower out of this 4 cylinder engine?

Ayuh,.... Yer gettin' all there is to get outa that motor,...

Want a Bigger 1, buy a different boat, with 1....

NYBo

Admiral

So noted.

A freshly rebuilt motor with proper compression, etc. will be a lot better performing than a tired one in need of a rebuild.