How to wire a on-off-on lighted rocker switch

woodeye1

Cadet
I have a lighted rocker switch for my nav/anchor lights
The switch has 6terminalss on the back and rocker has 2 lights 1-red 1-amber
I'd like to include a picture of the switch but I don't know how
The terminal layout is
2 on left , 2 rt, 2 middle
when red end of rocker is depressed the 2 middle terminals and the 2 on the rt have continuity
when the amber end of the rocker is depressed the 2 middle and the 2 on the left have continunity

My guess is that: I should attach power to the middle terminal that appaers to be the main power terminal as determined with a continunity tester

for nav: I should attach my r-g bow lights to one of the rt terminals and my stern pole to the other rt. terminal

for anchor: I should hook up my stern pole to one of the left terminals
but where do I attach the grnd wire for the illuminated red or amber lights

Sorry if this is too confusing
Jeff

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to wire a on-off-on lighted rocker switch

Ground is ground wherever you find it. The ground connection on the switch is for the internal lights ONLY. It is not for the ground connection on the NAV lights. You may need a jumper wire on that switch unless it is specifically designed as a NAV/ANC switch. What you described should work. Try it and post back if there is an issue.

woodeye1

Cadet

Fireman431
I see that the terminal in the lower left corner isn't used in your diagram would that be used for the grnd for the lts of the rocker switch

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Fireman431
I see that the terminal in the lower left corner isn't used in your diagram would that be used for the grnd for the lts of the rocker switch

No. There would be a separate (7th) terminal for the ground. It's would usually be the terminal that's somewhat 'apart' from the other 6.

nav-switch.jpg