4 wakeboatd tower speakers, is an amp 100% necessary

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I orginally planned on only installing two, but now decided on 4 wakeboard tower speakers. I'm assuming I need an amp to push them, but is it absolutely necessary? I have no desire for loud music, just want to be able to hear them while sitting in our favorite cove watching the kiddos play in the water.

Thanks.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4 wakeboatd tower speakers, is an amp 100% necessary

Not entirely, but.. if you're not wanting to really hear them, why are you putting 4 instead of 2?

Do you have any other speakers in the boat? An internal stereo amp will push 4 speakers max. More than that, you need an amp. I would recommend one anyway if for nothing else just the clarity. It will just sound good.. and after spending money on nice tower speakers, the least you could do is power them correctly. Go with a simple MB Quart NAU460. For around $100 with free shipping from Amazon, is the best bang for the buck in a marine 4 channel amplifier that you can get. Run 8 AWG minimum marine grade cable to it please. Enjoy.

tpenfield

Staff member

They will just be for looks without some sort of amp. However, you could install them and test them out with your stereo system.

FWIW-I would hook the tower speakers in series rather than parallel, if you are not using a separate amp.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

FWIW-I would hook the tower speakers in series rather than parallel, if you are not using a separate amp.
He probably has 4 channels so no need to do any serial or parallel connections.

Try it without an amp but will probably want one.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Another thought:

If you're running your speakers inside the boat off deck power and would like to run the tower speakers only some of the time, you could hook up the remote turn on wire to the amp to an accessory switch on the dash. This way, they don't always have to be blaring at everyone as you cruise around.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, I have 4 other speakers in the boat.

Reason I'm installing 4 of them is because I orginally thought I was ordering 2 but some how ordered 4 and don't want the hassle of returning them. I called one of the local installers here and was told they charged $70.00hr as an install fee. I think that's kind of high? I don't even make $70 an hour. I'm a DIY'er and can follow instructions, you guys think I can do this myself? 8 ga wire....got it! :)

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Installing stereos is really a snap. It's mainly all in the planning and execution using the proper installation accessories. If you're running 4 other speakers in the boat off of the deck power, then yes.. you'll absolutely need an external amp to power those tower speakers.

Locate a place that's as out of the weather as possible and close to your battery if you can. Under the rear bench seat is preferable due to not being in the heat of the engine compartment and being close to the battery. Under the dash is another good area.

Grab yourself an MB Quart NAU460 - http://www.amazon.com/MB-Quart-NAU4...N4WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336669001&sr=8-1

You'll need two runs of 8 AWG marine grade cable, tinned 8AWG crimp ring terminals, an inline fuse holder + fuse (http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-GFBW1-...XMIQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336658819&sr=8-3 + http://www.amazon.com/DB-Link-AGU50...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336658858&sr=1-1), a set of good quality shielded RCA cables (http://www.amazon.com/CL17Z-Competi...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336658879&sr=1-11), some marine primary wire and some copper clad aluminum speaker wire (http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-G...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336659246&sr=1-2).

Cut yourself a positive and ground cable for the amp. Crimp the ring terminals on either one for the battery connection. Put the fuse holder within 18" from the battery on the positive cable. Run the RCAs from the deck to the amplifier. Find a free accessory switch that puts out 12V+ and use that as the remote turn on wire for the amp and run it back.. or.. use the blue/white wire coming out of the deck that will put out 12V+ when the deck is on, and run that to the accessory switch. Run your speaker wires through the tower if you can.

Note - you don't have to do the accessory switch for the tower speakers if you don't want to.. it's just a suggestion so that they don't always have to be on. Those things PROJECT sound like crazy and there will be many times where you don't want them screaming at everyone else but you want the music down low in the boat. If you don't want the switch idea, then just run the blue/white wire straight to the amp as the remote turn-on wire.

Use this quick guide for basic amp tuning.. just nevermind the bass part of it as you're only running high pass speakers. (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=546534)

Need any help, just ask.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Mark. Wow, thanks for the response. I'll get to ordering all the accessories. Thanks a bunch....take care.

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice

what stereo do you have and what does it say is it's output to the 4 speakers? If you have a high output one around 25 watts to each speaker, that should be fine. I would try it first without an amp if you're not interested in blasting music to your skier.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

what stereo do you have and what does it say is it's output to the 4 speakers? If you have a high output one around 25 watts to each speaker, that should be fine. I would try it first without an amp if you're not interested in blasting music to your skier.

He's already using the deck power for his other speakers. See above. Amp is needed if you're adding anything more to the system.

Also.. I realized later that I sent you the link for a 50ft spool of speaker wire. You'll need the 100ft for sure.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not interested in blasting the skier, neighbor, turtles or anyone else on the lake. Just want to hear them while anchored in the cove. Nevertheless, If I need an amp, i'll get it.

So 50W x 4 isn't enough?

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Not interested in blasting the skier, neighbor, turtles or anyone else on the lake. Just want to hear them while anchored in the cove. Nevertheless, If I need an amp, i'll get it.

So 50W x 4 isn't enough?

It would be enough, yes.. but you're already using the power in the deck to power your 4 speakers that are already in the boat.. no? The deck isn't made to drive anymore than that.. you'll burn it up.

The only viable way of switching the sound between the two would be to install some kind of 2 way switch for each of the 4 channels of speaker outputs.. and by that time, you might as well just do it right and install the amp. After you hear the fruits of your labor, you'll be happy that you did.. ;)

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, sounds good. I'll pull the trigger on the amp today.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

ok, sounds good. I'll pull the trigger on the amp today.

Sign up for the free trial of Amazon "Prime" and get free 2 day shipping on everything.. it's awesome. Totally free, no money down. Just turn off the "auto-renew" option so that you don't get charged for it at the end of the month.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, thanks. I'll do that.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How many feet of the marine 8ga wire?

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

How many feet of the marine 8ga wire?

That would depend on where you're mounting the amp.. only you know that :)

You need enough to reach to and from the amp to the battery.. one for the positive and one for the ground wire. One way to do it is use a string or piece of wire to mock it up, add an extra foot, and then double it.

Keep in mind the dimensions of the amp as you look for a mounting spot.. 13.5 x 9.76 x 2.6 Inches. What I did for my under seat amp rack is screw two strips of 2" x 1" under the rear seat.. and then mount the amps to that. This way, it keeps them up off the floor of the boat and lets any moisture evaporate. Here's a picture.. and yes, I know it's sloppy as hell.. but no one is ever going to see it so I'm not going for organizational skills.. :D

IMG_2929_2938x2203.jpgIMG_2930_2203x2938.jpg

That's only 3 of the 6 amps.. the other 3 are under the dash.. lol

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mark.....Ok great. I have a great idea on the location for the amp. I'm a DIY'er (build and fly R/C airplanes, a shadetree mechanic and even built a lot of the furniture in my home) so I hoping I can do this. You and I are going to become good friends I hope. I'll need some type of schematic of what goes where please.

Just shot ya a PM.

thanks.