Dash Wiring...Help?

dawright

Cadet
I have a 1995 Cajun Fish/Ski. Only part of the dash gauges work. All the switches for the bilge, livewell, etc work but my fuel gauge doesnt work nor the speedometer. The RPM guage works but it only registers at WOT. How can I trouble shoot this problem. I am very inexperienced with boat wiring...well wiring in general. Any help would be appreciatied.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Dash Wiring...Help?

I have a 1995 Cajun Fish/Ski. Only part of the dash gauges work. All the switches for the bilge, livewell, etc work but my fuel gauge doesnt work nor the speedometer. The RPM guage works but it only registers at WOT. How can I trouble shoot this problem. I am very inexperienced with boat wiring...well wiring in general. Any help would be appreciatied.

Ayuh,.... Just how electrically challenged are we talkin',..??

My guess is, ya probably have a Ground problem,... atleast with the fuel gauge, 'n tach...

The Speedo is water driven by a pitot tube, usually mounted on the transom...
It's sorta an air pressure gauge with a tube, insteada a wire...

dawright

Cadet

Ya thats all Ive been told is that its a ground problem...but where should I even begin looking? There are a bunch of wires under the console and it gets confusing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look at the back of the gauges that aren't working. Each gauge has a +12 volt terminal, a ground terminal, and a sense terminal. All of them have a terminal for an internal light. If you don't have a test light or a digital multitester I suggest you get one and learn how to use it -- especially if you intend to do electrical troubleshooting yourself. Unless a wire has fallen off a connectioni, there is little else you can do without these tools. If the gauge doesn't have +12 volts or ground when the key is on the gauge won't work. If the sender (fuel gauge, temperature, trim, etc) wire is disconnected or loose at the gauge or the sender itself the gauge won't work. If the sender is bad the gauge won't work. You can test the gauge by "briefly" jumping the "S" terminal to the ground terminal. This should cause the gauge to peg full right. If not, the gauge does not have a ground, does not have +12 volts or the gauge itself is bad (rarely the case). The metal shell of the fuel sender at the tank must be grounded as well. A good sender will measure 33 ohms when full, 109 ohms at 1/2 full and 240 ohms empty. All of those readings are approximate. The speedometer does not have a sender. Chances are the pitot (either on the engine or the white thing hanging down off the back of the boat) is plugged with debris.

Here is a diagram of the fuel gauge system.

Gauge-SenderWiring.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post some pictures of the backs of the gauges and the wiring. Then people can get a sense of what you are looking at.

AgustinD

Recruit

Hello All!
does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows all the wires for the ignition switch?

Or, even better, where can I get a replacement ignition switch for my 1995 cajun 2100 series boat?

regards,
agustin

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why are you wanting an ignition switch since you haven't proven it's bad? Go to the stickies at the very top of this forum (not the top of this page) and check the "Generic Boat Wiring Diagram". The diagram is accurate for nearly most small recreational boats.

AgustinD

Recruit

I've lost the keys to my ignition. i'm sure the ignition switch works, but I can't turn it. (unless i break it w/screwdriver i guess...)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've lost the keys to my ignition. i'm sure the ignition switch works, but I can't turn it. (unless i break it w/screwdriver i guess...)

Check for a letter code in the area around the key slot in the switch. If you find one, go to the dealer and buy a key -- there are only a few types. Or, take the switch with you and use their "try out ring of keys".