Auto bilge pump float not working. Where do i start?

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
1999 sea ray 180 with merc 3.0 and alpha 1.

I was looking for a leak, and put some water in the rear of the bilge area. I noticed that the float switch never turned on the bilge pump. I checked the movement of the float, and it moved freely. Where do i start troubleshooting? Is it worth chasing down a problem, or do i just replace it? If i replace it, how is it mounted, and how do i remove it? Its pretty hard to get to, directly under the engine.

thanks!

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Auto bilge pump float not working. Where do i start?

Is there a separate fuse for the float switch circuit? (Hint: there should be.) If not, how is the fuse for the entire bilge pump setup?

Bondo

Staff member

Where do i start troubleshooting?
Ayuh,... Is there power goin' to it,..??

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bilge works if i flip the switch. It just doesnt with the float.

I didnt check the specific fuse, but i did glance over them and didnt see any blown. I will check again.

Its a 2 wire switch right? so power in, switch, power out to pump?

I will check fuses, and dig out the test light next time i bring it home.

If it is borked, how is it mounted? how do i replace?

NYBo

Admiral

Yes, there should be two brown wires, on e in and one out. The "in" wire should be connected directly to a battery positive terminal, hopefully with a fuse between the battery and the float switch.

We can't tell you exactly how yours is mounted. Mine is mounted with two screws.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

just wanted to update this since i got so much useful help from you guys.

I finally got the boat back home, and started prepping for this season. I unhooked the float and connected it to my voltage tester. it would sporadically work. So i knew i had to replace it.

I then noticed that the hot wire to the switch wasnt hot. I searched and searched for the other end of that wire, and never could find it, or a fuse feeding it.

I gave up and ran a new wire from the battery, through a waterproof spade fuse holder to the switch, and then to the pump. Mounted it with marine silicone on the screws and its all working as it should how.

I also installed a battery maintainer, and replaced the prop!!

i feel like a real boat owner now!