Can you splice a transducer wire

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
Last weekend I cut my transducer wire with my trolling motor( pulling it up and had to turn the head)
I know they say your not supposed to cut the wires but has anyone ever spliced the transducer wire? Did it work?
Thanks in advance.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Can you splice a transducer wire

I spliced one a couple of years ago. It worked fine.

I cut the wire pairs (about 5 of them as I recall) to different lengths so the butt connectors wouldn't all sit in the same spot. I shrink wrapped each pair, too. Tedious operation but it worked.

My .02

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

I spliced one a couple of years ago. It worked fine.

I cut the wire pairs (about 5 of them as I recall) to different lengths so the butt connectors wouldn't all sit in the same spot. I shrink wrapped each pair, too. Tedious operation but it worked.

My .02

And it saves me about $60 bucks. Thanks. I'm going to try it this weekend (unless I go fishing).

Last edited:

chriscraft254

Commander

Yes, it will work fine. I use shrink connectors, then shrink tubing over each wire, then shrink tube all wires together. Make sure you put the large shrinktube on before you start the connections. Good luck.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Roger that. Thanks again.

fucawi

Banned

yes no problem mine was only co ax but if you have a temp sensor it will be more wires ..

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

yes no problem mine was only co ax but if you have a temp sensor it will be more wires ..

Yeah has temp too--I'll guessing about 3hrs of work--it will give me something to do:)

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah has temp too--I'll guessing about 3hrs of work--it will give me something to do:)

Not unless the splice is buried somewhere. And make sure you have good wire insertion into the butts before you crimp. Little tiny 22GA wire is a PITA to work with, so take your time...

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Not unless the splice is buried somewhere. And make sure you have good wire insertion into the butts before you crimp. Little tiny 22GA wire is a PITA to work with, so take your time...

Defiantly will be taking my time. I will be soldering so no but splice--knowing how things really go it may take me all day--but that is ok with me as long as it is a good job and it works.