Wiring navigation and anchor lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

peaceman

Recruit
My boats lights aren't working so and trouble shooting the circuit and need help.
I have a carling 0515 switch (see attached photos) that I'm trying to make some sense of how to wire?
There are 8 spades and I can't figure out why I need so many? It is a lighted plug.

In addition, the negative wire for the anchor light is located at the battery, and not at the instrument panel.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• carling switch 2.jpg
    carling switch 2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • carling switch 1.jpg
    carling switch 1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Wiring navigation and anchor lights

The 8 terminal switch is meant for a boat with more lights than you may need, such as dual masthead lights. Since you didn't list what type of boat you have or navigational requirements, I'll assume the basic red/green bow lights, white stern light, and white anchor light. One of the terminals on the back are for a ground wire for the lighted portion of the switch itself. There may actually be 2 grounds for the nav lamp and the anchor lamp, but you won't know for sure until you get the basics wired.

switch.jpg

peaceman

Recruit

I have a 20 foot Jetcraft. I am only wiring the red and green navigation lights (individual and not a single combo unit) and the rear anchor light.

Underneath the console the single wire that powers the rear anchor light has three "jumpers" on it that connected into the spades.

I replaced all the bulbs and the lights work when wired seperately.

I looked at your schematic, but didn't help me much when looking a mine with 8 spades? The two corner spades are labeled red and that is how it was wired with the negative coming off of a side terminal adjacent to one of the red wires.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If you have a test light, run a 12v+ feed to the switch. Flip it into NAV position and check the terminals to see which ones have power coming out. These will feed the bow lights and the white aft light. Your bow lights can be fed off of a single terminal. You can also use one of the available spades for dash lights if needed. Then flip it into ANC position and see which terminal has power. This will be your 360? anchor light. The do the same with the ground to see which terminals light the switch lamps.

j_martin

Admiral

First, a Carling 0515 switch is momentary, off, on. It won't work as a anchor/run light switch.

You need a double pole, double throw switch. If it has lights, there will at least be a ground terminal for the light(s). The power connections for the light(s) may be internal, or may go to additional terminals.

Wiring is thus:

Power to both common terminals.
Navigation lights to side one terminal that's hot when switch is in nav position.
anchor to side two both terminals, so it turns on in either position.
switch lights wired as desired.
Ground return for the lights = any way you can get back to negative on the battery.

You need a diagram of the switch you use to determine which terminal is what.

Status
Not open for further replies.