auto pilot

chrisdonovan

Recruit
I have been having trouble with my 55 pound thrust Minn Kota auto pilot facility from new. I only really noticed the problem after the warranty period ran out as I was working away and didn`t use it for a while.
When the auto pilot is switched on the head starts to moved from side to side (about six inches either way from left to right) and all of a sudden it will spin around uncontrollably.
I have taken the motor away from and magnetic interference (the bottom of the garden) and it still does it.
As I live in the U.K. I will need to buy the parts and fit them myself so what could be the problem???
I e-mailed Minn Kota two months ago and they have yet to reply.
Chris Donovan

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Re: auto pilot

Chris,
i have owned a AP 55# motor for 6 years. The early ones seemed to have a problem when the compass boards get wet. The newer ones have a potting compound
over the board. You must make sure the foot pedal isn't feeding juice into the rotational motor. If it only happens in auto pilot mode it is the compass control board.
Minn Koda was very good to me but I talked to them on the phone. Very good equipment, just put on a copilot last year they are great too. Good Luck!

chrisdonovan

Recruit

Thank you for your help, I think it is the compass control board so I will order one and hope for the best.
Keep well,
Chris Donovan

Star

Chief Petty Officer

The change out is not bad. If the board you have now is not covered with black epoxy you may have to cut off the plastic tube about 1/8 of an inch. Make sure you also get the shink tubing to seal around the slide on clips. I think I paid $85 dollars US when I replaced mine. Also do not leave the foot pedal in wet or underwater areas this will also cause early failure. The co pilot is your next purchase when it fails.
I can't convey to you how much nicer it is with the copilot. Good Luck!!!

chrisdonovan

Recruit

Star,
Thank you for the good advise. Can you explain the me the function of a co pilot and what are its benefits as an addition to the auto pilot????
Regards,
Chris Donovan

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Copilot is a wireless remote that replaces your foot control. It gives you a speed and direction button around your neck. Had it for a year, my direction side of the foot pedal
died and costs $85 to replace copilot is $150. Are you in the UK... Where do you fish?
I fish the Long Island Sound on calm days. The northern part of NY State.

chrisdonovan

Recruit

Star,
Thanks for that, it could be some thing to consider if my foot pedal packs up.
I live in South Wales U.K. and fish Scotland and Ireland for pike using the auto pilot to float troll either dead or silicone baits.
I have a bigger boat which we use in the early summer to tope (small shark) fish off the Welsh coast which is great fun.
Thanks again for the info.
Chris Donovan