12/24 volt trolling motor problem

i just bought this boat last year and have'nt used it but just a few times. i have never had a 12/24 volt trolling motor so i am not really familiar with the way they are wired. the problem that i am having is that my 12v side works fine but my 24v side does not work at all. this causes me problems when trolling against the current or strong winds. anybody have any idea what may be causing this problem? it is an older (mid 80's model) evinrude and it is probably the original tm. 18" stratos bass boat, but not sure what the thrust #'s are

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 12/24 volt trolling motor problem

There were many creative ways to wire and configure 12/24 volt systems on boats and the same applied to wiring of the motors themselves. Without any information about what you have for batteries, wiring between them and the bow, whether or not there is a 12/24/Run/Charge switch at the bow, how many wires between the motor and the electrical connection in the boat are just a sample of what we need to know. Over the years, whoever owned the boat may have also mucked with the wiring so here's what you need to do.

Start at the batteries and make detailed notes about what see at them. A 12/24 system requires two batteries. From the batteries you will find either three or four wires going up front. Up front you may find a panel with one or two switches on it. Jot down how those switches are labeled (exactly). Do you have a three or four terminal receptacle at the bow? Does the plug on the motor have three or four terminals. Does the plug have three or four wires leading from it to the motor. Lastly, if you have a camera, pictures of the battery wiring, front and back of the switch panel, the motor foot control and the motor plug are very helpful. Some motors had a 12/24 switch on the foot pedal and some did not but relied on the --12/24 switch at the panel. As you can see -- it is details, details, details when it comes to this.

ok, that sounds like great advice. i do know that there is a run charge switch on the bow and that the foot pedal has a 12/24 switch. also the recepticle has three terminals as well as the tm plug. the rest i will have to do as you recommended and look at the system. thanks for responding with a starting point.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

OK - you have a good start. What is important is the three or four wires running from the batteries. Just because you have three terminals in the receptacle and plug doesn't mean there will be only three wires from the batteries. Regardless, we will get your motor running on 24 volts.

ok great, thank you for your kindness in helping me. it is greatly appreciated and i will give you the rest of the info you need to continue to help me diagnose this problem as soon as i can look at the wiring and pass on this info to you. thanks again. it seems that you are very knowledegable and i appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to help! thanks again, larry

apenn18

Cadet

I have the exact opposite problem. I have a 12/24 switch on the trolling motor, but my 24v works but my 12v doesn't. Driving me crazy!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have the exact opposite problem. I have a 12/24 switch on the trolling motor, but my 24v works but my 12v doesn't. Driving me crazy!!!

You just hijacked someone elses thread. Please don't do that as it becomes very difficult to keep focused on the problem at hand and we don't want to have to go back and read each post from the beginning. Start your own post please.

apenn18

Cadet

I'm sorry silvertip, I didn't realize you were the reply nazi. But since there hasn't been a reply since early march I figured it might be ok to post A. exactly what I did. B. Anything I wanted to. How bout you don't talk to other grown men like they are children. And FYI, I did start my own post since it appeared this one was dead.