Laptop as Fishfinder/GPS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

witedoor

Recruit
Re: Laptop as Fishfinder/GPS???

I like this idea. I actually ran across this post because I had a brainstorm to build a transducer that had bluetooth capability and then having a mounted ipad that had an app with gps navigation/fish finder/depth finder all in one. The possibilities are pretty endless and I'm surprised none of the big manufacturers have picked up on this yet. I'm a programmer and could tackle the ipad app pretty easily but as for the sonar end of things this is a whole different creature.

dboyd351

Cadet

I have to concur with what several others have stated: Between the lack of being waterproof, shockproof and having a screen made to read in direct sunlight, the odds of this working on an open boat aren't good.
Larger cruiser cabin boats have been using computers (usually desktops, from the ones I've seen) for charting for years. But the enclosed cabin takes care of the waterproof issue and the reading the screen issue, while the sheer size of these boats greatly lessens the shock issue.

j_martin

Admiral

I've been thinking I'd like a way to set up a computer to precisely map some of my favorite fishing lakes. They're relatively small, so the commercial fish map folks haven't bothered.

One thing I'm sure of, though, is that a laptop would not stand up to the punishment in a boat. They do, however, make equipment that can stand the water, the shock, and temperature extremes. We use them in machine shops for various functions.

Thanks to all for the helpful links.

John

superbenk

Commander

If you ever do make something, it'd be really awesome if you shared it. Open source is a great way to get help from a broad community of really smart people to make a project come together. I'm sure there's some electronics gurus out there that could prototype something in no time and some really smart coders that could write the software for it. It'd make a great community DIY project, IMO, and one I'd be VERY interested in being part of.

southgrpahics

Recruit

Re: Ipad as chartplotter/fishfinder.

Having a 64g 3g ipad I was looking for an app to do exactly what you are talking about. I was thinking of puting it in a waterproof case with a mounting bracket. One ipad could serve many functions on a boat including radio and comunication device. Also having the app and hardware link up with an Iphone it would work on smaller boats as well. I know I dont want to spend $800 on a chartplotter/gps when it would be possible to plug and play with a smartphone or tablet.

Looking forward to someone following through with this idea!!!!

Drsing

Recruit

Found a sonar module for you.
http://www.cruzpro.co.nz/pcff80.html

I used a similar single beam transducer solution from Cruzpro.co.nz for a couple of years and it worked very well. But they stopped supporting windows PC operating systems after Windows XP. I keep the PC in the cabin, it was designed for the medical field and is water and shock resistant, besides I have it mounted on a stand that acts as a shock absorber. I switched to a product called Seaclear which works fine as a chart plotter. I still have the transducer installed from the cruzpro device, and may switch back to it if Cruzpro updates their software. Here are some pictures that show the installation and lots more. https://www.slideshare.net/drsingeto...st-photo-album I made my own weather proof monitor, based on a case from a device that came out in the 70's called Navigator PC. The only issue is seeing the monitor in very bright sunlight. My idea is to make a kind of cowl, from flaps that velcro around the outside of the monitor. Stay tuned...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
And tune into a new thread. Look how old and inactive this one is - 8 years.

A supported solution may be better than a non-supported product. Not very many still use XP.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.