Fuel Flow Meter: Opinions requested

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
2 years ago, when I purchased my Humminbird 797c2 SI Combo, I didn?t know that I would eventually want to add a fuel flow meter. At the time I wasn?t aware of the NEMA 2000 wiring systems and the fact that Humminbird units are not NEMA 2000 compatible. :rolleyes: So, I need to purchase a complete fuel flow meter with sending unit and gauge. Unfortunately, since Humminbird is not NEMA compatible, I won?t be able to interface a fuel flow meter with my chart plotter. :mad:

In other threads, a lot of you mention that you have Flow Scan fuel flow meters. From what I?ve seen those are very pricy. I am considering purchasing the Lowrance LMF-200. I can get it for $189 +tax, locally. Can anyone offer advice on this unit? Can you suggest another unit for purchase that is reasonably priced?

I?m not looking for something with a lot of fancy gadgets. I just want a meter that tells me: My fuel flow: fuel used and/or fuel remaining. Simple, simple, simple.

This unit is for the Crownline listed in my signature below.

PS... anyone looking to buy a Humminbird 797c2 SI Combo, I can let you hold one CHEAP!!! :D

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel Flow Meter: Opinions requested

I have a Navman tracker 5500 chartplotter with the optional fuel sender.

I love it!

Gives instantaneous mpg or gph or km/l.

The tracker was aound $300 after rebate and the fuel sender another $100 or so.

It has paid for itself a few times over already as I am able to dial in the best mpg and save fuel.

I believe that Northstar has bought out Navman but still sells the trackers.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I just picked up one of these on ebay; http://www.cruzpro.co.nz/fu30.html I got the FU30. They have 2 left at a clearance price of $123US See the specials here.

I have yet to install it because you have to start with an empty tank, then fill it 1/16th of a tank at a time to program it. But, it gives all the info you're looking for, and then some. Best part is the hook up seems incredibly simple. The only down side that I'm seeing is that it's a 55mm gauge, as opposed to the standard 52mm, so mounting it could be fun. Probably going to get a gauge pod for it.

Haffiman

Commander

Looks a bit 'funny'.
Seems to operate from the fuel level sender in the tank only.
What happens when trim-angle changes?
If calibrating with boat 'horizontal' on the trailer and not at floating angle?
Without a flow-sensor, I would put it more as a gimmick than a reliable tool.
No wonder a 'clearance' sale.

jhebert

Ensign

For about five years I have been using a fuel flow meter which measures fuel flow using an in-line flow sensor that is installed into the fuel supply line to my outboard motor. The accuracy of the fuel flow measurement is good at moderate flow volume. At very low flow volume the sensor is not very accurate. At very high fuel volume the sensor is reasonably accurate, but not as accurate as it is at lower flow rates.

The instrument provides a tank level indicator, but only as an imputed measurement, deduced by subtracting the fuel flow from an existing tank level that was set by the operator. The accuracy of the device depends on the operator consistently and reliably entering into the instrument all fuel volume added to the tank.

The flow sensor can be adjusted or calibrated. Following many hundreds of gallons being run through the sensor, I began recalibration of the sensor based on my own data. This improved the accuracy of the sensor somewhat. With some field calibration the flow sensor accuracy can be improved to less than 5-percent error.

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I agree with Haffiman.

That unit does not measure the actual "flow" of fuel. I would be leery of that unit for this reason. I've had the cork on the end of my fuel sending unit to become "saturated", for lack of a better description. Subsequently it lost a lot of its buoyancy and my fuel gauge was not reading the correct amount of fuel in my tank.

The type of meter I am looking for would allow me to enter the amount of fuel in my tank and it would measure the flow through the fuel line and constantly tell me how much is left.

Whenever I decide what unit to purchase, my plan is: On a full tank, enter an amount of fuel that is 10% than the tank capacity. On my 80 gallon tank this will give me about 10 gallons in reserve. Based on my GPS data and some calculations I am getting about 2mpg cruising. Allowing for just one hole shot, that leaves me about +15 miles to dock before the tank is dry. I think this type of unit is more user friendly and surely provides more reliable data.

So, does anyone want to comment on the Flow Scan units or the Lowrance LMF-200 that I am eyeing for purchase right now?

Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not necessarily on the topic of fuel flow meter...A rule of thumb for fuel usage is 1/3rd out and 2/3rd back. You don't want to go out far enough that you would need the exact same fuel in each direction. If conditions change and you are coming back with weather and won't be on plane, you will use a lot more fuel.

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pez Vela,

The $189 price includes everything needed. (www.overtons.com) I think it sounds like a reasonable price. And, although I haven't gotten the complimentary responses I was hoping for no one has posted anything negative about this unit. I'm going to give it about 10 more days before I purchase. So for now, it's wait and see what people have to say... if anything.

Haffiman

Commander

Some decades back (LOL), I worked for VP in Sweden.
One of my tasks was to consumption test different engines in different installations.
For the bigger engines I mainly used PLU flow-through sensors, and they were not that 'bad', but to stay within given tolerances, they had to be rather frequently calibrated.
What I soon discovered was that running a flow meter in a suction line was not too god an idea.
The most reliable was to use a feed pump before the meeter and in connection with a vapor chamber. This to always keep a positive pressure in the sensor unit.
This link gives an indication on the system I used:
https://www.avl.com/c/document_libr...032-7dff-4026-8259-92ccd0f14330&groupId=10138
However I doubt most boaters will put that in their boats for a couple of hours pleasure ride.Weight and cost rules it out.
So whichever flow sensor used of the 'normal' ones, they will be rather inaccurate.
Just use a 'calibration tank' from time to time to check it out. A 5 Gal outboard tank should be easy to hook into the system.
When installing, make a by-pass option. No fun when it jams up and restricts the fuel!
In general I think one is as good or bad as the other.
Be sure to get a system certified to be used in E10 fuel systems!!!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

So for now, it's wait and see what people have to say... if anything.
I'm not keen on it

My LMF200 works intermittently.

If I start the boat with the fishfinder on, and the bilge blower- the display will not stop flashing 3 dashes.

I have to kill the FF and BB, then restart to get it to read fuel flow.

Also I CANNOT get the fuel level countdown to work- the bar gauge shows full despite my going through the setup in the manual about 10 times....

If I was going to do it again, I'd look for a fishfinder that has NMEA2000, can show fuel consumption and supports Navionics... if there is one

Otherwise, I'd go with the N* F210

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just spoke to "Linda" in technical support at Navico, parent company for Lowrance. She told me the LMF 200 and 400 units each have "limited" storage capability. She stated further, the reason you would want a storage device is ?so that you can store data from a lot of trips?.

People like me who are not going to be keeping a stored log of every trip will NOT be required to have the data storage device for proper operation.

I plan to use a fuel flow meter as a back-up for hand calculated mileage (for planning trips). Isn?t that the same good advice as owning a compass AND a GPS? The GPS and fuel flow meter are quick references. But what if they quit working???

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

For those of you with the LMF200 fuel system, the reason that their system is either intermittant or doesn't count fuel remaining correctly, it's because you need another device for MEMORY! The LMF400 has the memory built in.....not the LMF200

EP-85R

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Ma.../Electronic-Probes-EPs/EP-85R-Storage-Device/

click downloads and read the manual

Thanks!
now I know.

I think the bizarro world of Lowrance is best to avoid, and this mentioning of the need for the EP85 only in the EP85 manual is a prime example of why....

I just did a full text search of the LMF200 manual - no mention of memory needed to make the fuel level work... in fact it states the EP10 fuel meter OR the memory module can be used.... bad translation from whatever language the people that make it speak I suspect

tmartin

Seaman Apprentice

I do this for a living, Linda answers the phone. Make your own call. :)

I agree that the intermitant issue is prob low voltage related.

But I am 100% positive...there is zero memory in the 200. There is a built-in memory module in the 400.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I do this for a living, Linda answers the phone. Make your own call. :)

When did Linda come back? The last I knew she resigned back in January.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I was going to do it again, I'd look for a fishfinder that has NMEA2000, can show fuel consumption and supports Navionics... if there is one

I've been drooling over the HDS-7 to replace the 2001 Garmin that came with my boat.

must...not...buy..more...boat...stuff...