Marine radio recommendation please

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

We just bought our first boat and were wondering about a marine radio. I would like something moderately priced but not junk. I've looked at the hand held units but most seem to be only 5 watts and good for a distance of a couple of miles. The installable units are 25 watts and I imagine good for a much longer distance.

Any suggestions? Any brands to stay away from? We're on the great lakes.

Thanks,
Paul

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Marine radio recommendation please

Can't recommend any brands any more as I've been away from them too long. But I would go with a 25 watt model and more important don't skimp om the antenna. That is the key to the whole setup.

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used Icom for both flying and boating. They make a great product. There are others as well that are great units.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree with above
I like ICOM and Standard brands but think it is hard to find a poor quality VHF radio today.
I think a good antenna like a Shakespears 5225-XT is expensive but more important than a certain brand radio.

Range of a Handheld is about 2 miles plus the range of the other station.

Range of a VHF Fixed 25 watt radio with and antenna top 11 feet above the water is about 4.71 miles plus the range of the other station.
So calling another boat like mine the range just under 10 miles. The higher the antenna the more range you get.
VHF Marine signal is line of site so the signal will not bend over the horzion.
Only way to get more range is to mount the antenna higher on the boat.
Calling Coast Guard Group San Francisco with their antenna on top of a mountain 3000 feet high is over 80 miles.

Today all new Fixed mount VHF radios sold must have Digital Selective Calling (DSC).
DSC is a way of contacting the Coast Guard Rescue 21 and every boat with DSC in range with the push of a button.
DSC will send out a distress call and give Coast Guard and Every boat your postion.
For DSC to work you must have a GPS connected and have a free MMSI number.
The Radio will transmite on channel 70 with 1 watt your position, and MMSI number and continue sending until it get a reply from a land station.
The Coast Guard will call you back on Channel 16 to find out the nature of the distress and number of people on board.
They can look up your MMSI number and it will tell them the discription of you boat and the identification number so they know what they are looking for.

Coast Guards task called Rescue 21 is to be able to pick up every DSC signal brodcast on channel 70 with 1 watt and 6 feet above the water out to 30 miles for the entire coast of the united states. I suspect they will have something simular for the great lakes.

Their ar different types of DSC. Class D has a seperate channel 70 for DSC and cost more.
It will have features like you can pole your buddies MMSI number and see where he is fishing.
So when he call you and says their jumping in the boat you can head to his position with out him telling you and the entire fleet where he is fishing.

Class SC101 has all the same mayday features but not the extra channel 70 and not as many features.

Do not buy a nylon antenna mount if you boat in big waters and your boat is out in the sun every day.
For salt water I suggest a Stainless Steel mount. For inland Cromb plated mounts work well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-f4nhnBThg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdkxsWBncSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQk5MRwuxgo

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agreed, a good antenna and a tuned set, tuned to your boat is very important

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Their ar different types of DSC. Class D has a seperate channel 70 for DSC and cost more.
It will have features like you can pole your buddies MMSI number and see where he is fishing.
So when he call you and says their jumping in the boat you can head to his position with out him telling you and the entire fleet where he is fishing.

Class SC101 has all the same mayday features but not the extra channel 70 and not as many features.

Class SC101 radios are being phased out and cannot be sold after March 2011. Although Class D is a little more expensive, you might as well buy a radio that meets the upcoming minimum standard. I have a Class SC101 radio that works fine and I have no plans to replace it, but if I was shopping for a new radio I would buy Class D.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys,

This was very helpful information.

Paul