Using a 3-bank charger for only 2 batteries??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darin Jordan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm getting ready to purchase a new ProMariner ProSport 20 onboard battery charger. My current setup just has two batteries; one dedicated starting, and one brand new deep cycle.

I MIGHT install a 3rd battery in the future, so I was thinking of getting the 3-bank ProSport 20+, but am not sure if I can use that for just 2 batteries safely, and stow the third set of leads for future use.

Anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks,

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Using a 3-bank charger for only 2 batteries??

I have the opposite problem, got the ProMariner Protournament with a new boat and its the two bank version, but I have three batteries and one of the "banks" is only the 2 amp maintenance charger. Try calling PM at the tech support number. 800-824-0524

Darin Jordan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the opposite problem, got the ProMariner Protournament with a new boat and its the two bank version, but I have three batteries and one of the "banks" is only the 2 amp maintenance charger. Try calling PM at the tech support number. 800-824-0524

Just called them. Thanks for the number.

The tech said that you can just double-up two of the banks onto one of the batteries and you're ready to "rock and roll" (his words...)

The price difference isn't enough to justify the slight savings buying the 2-bank over the three...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Paralleling the two outputs essentially doubles the charging current going to that battery so it will charge twice as fast (roughly) as it would if you only used one output. The output is there -- go ahead and use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.