Correct wiring for this Tachometer

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Correct wiring for this Tachometer

If this tach is used on a two stroke engine, it is necessary that the number of stator poles be determined. A 12 pole unit produces 6 pulses. If this unit is going on a four stroke I/O (auto engine), the number of cylinders comes into play. A four banger produces 2 pulses per rev. A six cylinder produces three and a V8 produces 4.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

That is definitely "Old School"...but well worth it to keep the boat "Old School"...:)

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same Aqua-Meter tach. It is new never used yet I can not prove this. It does not work so far. It seems simple enough yet I still wonder if it is wired correctly?

I have also built an instrument panel machined of fine mahogany. I do not want to change from the period authentic old school look of the Aqua-Meter speedo and tach. Even though I have installed Teleflex black sterling smaller gauges.

The boat is a 1953 Chris*Craft kit boat. The steering was on the boat when I got it. I added the adjustable cut down jack plate and instrument panel.

The speedo works great. She'll do 28 at half throttle.

I am trying to find out once and for all if this tach is hooked up correctly? I can have it serviced and changed to a more modern operating system, yet that's almost three hundred bucks. If I have to this is the what I will do.

Grey wire is connected to the cut out switch and black is ground even though by the time the wires get back to the outboard it is speaker wire. This is temporary until I can finish the wiring. No electric start yet, rats....

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMAG1554.jpg
    IMAG1554.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG1556.jpg
    IMAG1556.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Come to think of it I have a test meter thing up at the cottage. Think I'll see what is going on with the terminal that has the two grey wires connected to it. I'll probably find out the terminal the tach is connected to is only operating when that cylinder gets the momentary cut out.

1965 Evinrude Ski-Twin 33 pony.