Bass Tracker Wiring Question

ibilly

Cadet
Re: Bass Tracker Wiring Question

Hey Styles...I think the whole issue lies in the fact that I have no relays or a solenoid to reverse the motor. I saw someone posted on here about a solenoid from Parts Surplus that I may check into. I thought the trim switch in the control reversed polarity, but that must not be the case. Don't worry about the spelling...I wish I were drinking too!!! Hahaha!!! To post pictures like I did...get a Photobucket account and upload your pictures. After you do...copy the image code and just paste it below your reply. Nothing to it.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i check my trim motor last night.mine must have 2sets of brushes, as soliniod doesn.t reverse polarity like i thought. either you will need right schematic or 2 switches to control motor.

ibilly

Cadet

Thanks for all your help Styles. I sure appreciate it. I was going to order that solenoid from Surplus, but I'm not so sure it will work now. I'll keep plugging away at it though!!!

stylesabu

ok here is diagram of mine. it has 3 wire going to motor.1 up 1 down 1 ground. try grounding you housing and then touch each wire one at a time and see if motor spins opposite way depending on which wire is positive.

Attachments

• boat 31210 011.jpg
    boat 31210 011.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 31210 012.jpg
    boat 31210 012.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0

ibilly

Cadet

Do you mean the housing to the trim motor? My trim motor only has the two wires and I can reverse the motor by connecting one of the wires to either my blue or green wire and the other wire to the negative post on my battery. By switching them around I can run the motor either up or down, but not both. I won't be home until early morning, but I'll give it a shot then and let you know. Thanks again Styles.

stylesabu

yes attach a wire to body of trim motor,this will be your ground. there has to be a screw somewhere.there connect new ground wire to neg. and try each of the 2 exsisting wire to positive, on at a time. make sure you have a fuse or curcuit breaker in line, I don't what you to melt or damage anything. I'm pretty sure this will solve your delema. then just get a couple of soliniods.let me know what happens

ibilly

Cadet

I tried grounding it Styles...still dead in the water. I'm going to head to the Marina tomorrow and order a solenoid. I'll let you know how it turns out. So close!!!

stylesabu

I have 2 soliniods on mine, same part number. 1 is for up other for down. I'm not sure what you need now.

ibilly

Cadet

Got it Styles. I had to buy a short wire harness along with the relays. Took about a half hour to install and it works like a charm!!! I've been smiling all day. I bought a new 24 volt Motorguide trolling motor today too. The guy sold me a 4 prong Marinco receptacle to go with it, but I only have two wires at the front of the boat. Have any experience with this? I haven't even checked into it yet. Might not be too hard.

stylesabu

never hear of a marinco, send me a picture, thats some serious voltage and amperage for trolling motor. what are you asking? how to wire plug or wire batteries. my self I would use one battery at a time, so you always have a back up.I need to know if marinco plug looks like. glad some was able to get you what you needed for trim motor.

ibilly

Cadet

Marinco makes a nice 4 prong receptacle. The one I bought was good for 12-24 volt trolling motors. The trolling motor is a 24 volt 71lb thrust. It needs both batteries to operate. I saw other diagrams using 2, 3 and 4 wires, but nothing that hooked up to a 4 prong receptacle. I wasn't sure how to wire it, but I got it figured out today. I'll post some pics tomorrow of the relays and the wiring of the connector so others that may run into this have a visual aid. This was a bear for me to figure out!!! Thanks for all of your help and input Styles...it helped a lot.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Trim switches do not act as relays because they are switches, not relays. Relays are used to transfer high current loads when the switch contacts can't handle that load. They would either burn up or weld together from high current. Whether or not you need relays depends on the the current carrying capacity of the switches and the current draw of the motor. Now lets get to the motor. You already proved to yourself that the motor runs one direction when the two motor wires are connected to the battery. It runs the other way when the two motor wires are reversed. That's the way a two wire motor works. So you are confusing yourself by trying to use a trim harness that has more wires than you need. Ignore that harness for now. Find the trim switch at the bow and the one on the shift control. The center terminal on both of those switches should be hot either all the time or when the key is in the RUN position. Most are hot all the time (unless of course you have blown the main fuse back at the engine). Moving the trim switch to the up position sends 12 volts to the up portion of the trim system through one of the outer terminalas (forget the motor at this point). Moving the trim switch to the down position sends 12 volts to the other outer terminal. At this point you will need to tell us if the trim switches have three or six terminals. If it has only three terminals, you need to use relays. If it has six terminals you do not need relays. I suspect however, that the switches are three terminals. You then need to head to an auto store and buy two 12 volt, 30 amp auto relays used to control cooling fans, or other high current loads. Then go here and wire accordingly.

http://www.chattanoogafishingforum.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=44783&posts=10