frying fuse holder

fishingalnj

Recruit
I have a small boat that is pre-wired for a trolling motor and has a 50amp fuse holder by the battery. I have a Minn kota 55lb thrust trolling motor that I use. Any time I use the motor on high for any extended period of time the fuse holder starts to melt. The fuse never blows. I have a feeling its the difference in the wire gauge between the motor and the pre-wiring on the boat. If anyone could give me any advice I would appreciate it.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: frying fuse holder

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I have a feeling the manufacturer didn't have a 55# thrust trolling motor in mind. I think you're going to have to upgrade the wiring.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What gauge is the wire going to and from the fuse holder? Bet its too small for the 50 amps max the motor draws. (50 amps by the way came from the Minnkota product manual).

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

this could also be caused by corrosion or a loose connection... either way at a minimum the fuse holder is trash now and if the wiring on your boat isn't at least as heavy as the wiring on the motor then use the old wires to pull new heavier wires through....