frying fuse holder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frying fuse holder

I have a small boat that is pre-wired for a trolling motor and has a 50amp fuse holder by the battery. I have a Minn kota 55lb thrust trolling motor that I use. Any time I use the motor on high for any extended period of time the fuse holder starts to melt. The fuse never blows. I have a feeling its the difference in the wire gauge between the motor and the pre-wiring on the boat. If anyone could give me any advice I would appreciate it.

Re: frying fuse holder

Welcome to iboats!

I have a feeling the manufacturer didn't have a 55# thrust trolling motor in mind. I think you're going to have to upgrade the wiring.
    Bob, Seneca Lake NY
    '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
    '94 Grumman Fish'N Fun pontoon, 40 HP Merc
    Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
    Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

What gauge is the wire going to and from the fuse holder? Bet its too small for the 50 amps max the motor draws. (50 amps by the way came from the Minnkota product manual).

Comment

this could also be caused by corrosion or a loose connection... either way at a minimum the fuse holder is trash now and if the wiring on your boat isn't at least as heavy as the wiring on the motor then use the old wires to pull new heavier wires through....
        Kevin

Originally posted by Tinnie
        But, where are the reevets?
        1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
        1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
        1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
        90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
        Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Kinda figured that was the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X