What is the difference between the Eagle 320 and the 480 fishfinders?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is the difference between the Eagle 320 and the 480 fishfinders?

The difference is the screen resolution.

Unless you fish in deep water or are looking for fish less than a ?? tall the difference in resolution on a 5? screen is irreverent.

Example 20? feet of water:
Eagle 320_ 1 pixel = ?? of the water column per pixel
Eagle 480_ 1 pixel = ?? of the water column per pixel

Example 10? feet of water:
Eagle 320_ 1 pixel = 3/8? of the water column per pixel
Eagle 480_ 1 pixel = ?? of the water column per pixel

efgolden

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for that answer Dingbat......just got done ordering the 320 from Cabellas for just over $100 on sale.

jwk442

Recruit

good answer, I'm gonna order the 320 right now

MRS

Commander

I have the 320 fishmark works great.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a thread re the best finder under $200. After reading this I think I'll get a 320 as well!

I will rarely, if ever, be fishing anything over 25' of water.

MRS

Commander

I have a thread re the best finder under $200. After reading this I think I'll get a 320 as well!

I will rarely, if ever, be fishing anything over 25' of water.

Go now to Cabelas and check the bargin cave section they are $109.00 they will sell out fast. I was going to get one but saw they had the lowrance X96 for $119.00 so I did buy that one. Eagle is made by lowrance and it is basiclly the same unit but I like the back lit screen colour better on the lowrance units.:)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree with DingBat 100 percent.
Even over 100 feet useing the 4 time zoom 320 is still fine.
In saltwater over 100 feet then do also want to compare compare power output.

One note I was at Bass Pro Shops a month ago and they said they were clearing out all the eagle brand because they were being discontinued.
I have not confirmed this anywhere else but did pick up a Lowrance 2010 product manual and it does not include any Eagle gear like it has had in years past.

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think Eagle are going out of business or being discontinued... They seem to have released some newer products recently which would suggest otherwise.
http://www.eaglenav.com

I have the Eagle Fishmark 320 and it is an excellent unit for the price.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I have a thread re the best finder under $200. After reading this I think I'll get a 320 as well! I will rarely, if ever, be fishing anything over 25' of water.

As some who have seen my posts know, up until last summer I have been using an Eagle SupraPro ID since 1994-ish. We have located schools of bait 80' down in Champlain with it, and Walleyes in 20' of water at Carmi. Oh, and caught fish using it, too!

I got the Fishmark 480 late last summer... Great unit! I would be nearly as happy with the 320- such a HUGE leap over the SupraPro ID which has a 90 vertical pixel count. 90! I paid $110 for it in 1994. I think the "mid-depth alarm" on the 480 is not available on the 320, if I remember correctly.

So the Fishmark 320 at $109.99..... if I had some spare coin at the moment I would buy one just for the fact that it is a great unit at an incredible price!

BTW- this spring's purchase will be an Eagle 640C sonar/GPS so I can run a color GPS full screen and still have the nice big screen sonar of my 480. The sonar of the 640 will just be a backup on the "main" boat but will let me just move the head unit over to the other boat and still have both functions.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I don't think Eagle are going out of business or being discontinued... They seem to have released some newer products recently which would suggest otherwise.....I have the Eagle Fishmark 320 and it is an excellent unit for the price.

The Eagle Fismark 320 IS a great unit, but is a bargain at $109.99

I spoke face-to-face with a Lowrance Pro Staff rep Friday aftgernoon. He confirmed that while Eagle is not "going out of business," Lowrance is discontinuing most if not all of the Eagle line except for the FishEasy and Cuda.

To get the same unit and features as the 480/500/600-series you will have to spend the little extra coin and buy the Lowrance. Lowrance typically has more features and upgraded software over the Eagle. Look for the Lowrance "Mark" and "Elite" series which roughly correspond to the Eagle "FishMark" (B&W) and Eagle "FishElite" (color) series. One welcome feature on some of these units is the instant scrollback of the display history. Another is the Mid-depth Alarm which allows you to set an 'alarm' for anything that appears, say, between 20 and 30 feet for example- a handy tool not found on the FishMark 320 but comes standard on the 480.

So having learned that- and not seeing anyone carrying Eagle 400-, 500-, or 600-series sonar/gps, I actually bought a 640C Sonar/GPS friday at Cabelas for $364!! They had one Fishmark 480 Sonar/GPS for $259, too.

Anyway, the "sister" Lowrance units do have some useful additional features over the Eagle "equivalent."