Charging batteries with perko switch

TexMojo

Seaman
Re: Charging batteries with perko switch

Wow, this is too much. I have a perko but I also have a onboard dual charger, I ran the cables straight to the battery bypassing the perko.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And that would be the correct way to do it since you have a dual output charger. This entire thread is about using a single output charger and whether or not a single charger can charge two or more batteries in parallel.

TexMojo

Seaman

And that would be the correct way to do it since you have a dual output charger. This entire thread is about using a single output charger and whether or not a single charger can charge two or more batteries in parallel.

I recently had a perko switch added to my boat and was wondering can I charge both batteries at once? I put a charger on the positive side of one battery and the shared ground of the other. The one charged battery seemed to leak after being charged awhile. Was this the correct way to charge or not? Again, can I charge both at once? Thanks

Thats where the wow, comes into play, everybody appears to want to discuss their knowledge on the problem when it would be alot easier to tell the guy to either buy a dual charger or replace the weak battery. Just my opinion of course.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a small 6v/12v 2amp & 6amp charger that you can on the back of the boat. It is a Schumacher dual rate charger. If this is not a good or the proper charger for long life of my battery can someone recommend a good priced charger. Thanks for ALL the advice. Happy Boating!!

Overnighter20

Seaman Apprentice

I just turn the switch off and charge them seperately. Maybe takes longer, but I have time,,,,,,,

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I will do, because it will work for my purpose for now until I find an easier way. Thanks!