Motorguide SW75 (wireless) problem

jack_bauer

Recruit
I am curious if anyone with the same or similar motor has had this problem. Also, any wireless device experts out there please weigh in.

I just had a new Motorguide SW75 installed on my 24' Champion Bay boat. The first two trips out have been relatively frustrating in that.....get this...you sitting down? The motor randomly just turns and goes in whatever direction it feels like going. I'll set it straight, and the next thing I know, it's turned 20 or 30 degrees right or left. I re-direct and it's good for a while until it decides it doesn't like my current course. It's extremely annoying. Also, I hear lots of beeps even when I'm not pushing buttons. It seems like it's getting a signal from somewhere, but no one is around.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Motorguide SW75 (wireless) problem

if you are hearing lots of beeps it is getting a signal from some where. if using the key fog, buttons could be getting pushed accidentally.

i have the WP 45, love it, will never go back to tiller.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I also have the W45, and agree it sounds like you are inadvertently hitting the buttons. I know I've done it enough times with the keyfob attached to my belt, and when sitting down.

jack_bauer

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I ruled out inadvertently pressing keys. I set the key fob on the console once the course was set straight. As predicted, it eventually beeped and changed course.

Judging from the lack of replies on of a more technical nature here and the general lack of info about any such problem on the internet, i'm beginning to think this might not be a common problem. Maybe its just the unit I have.

So it could be:
1. faulty unit
2. installation problem
3. there is something on my boat transmitting wireless signals causing interference. Note: The only electronics I have is a Lowrance HD28c with an in-hull mounted transducer.

So with that said, I re-issue my question: Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? Should I just ask for a new unit from the dealer? This one is only two weeks old.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Does it always turn in the same direction? It must have different encoding for left, right, speed increase, and speed decrease. Try clearing out the memory. I think it holds up to 10 different keyfobs/contollers. Then reprogram with only the device(s) you use. If you use more than one, maybe try isolating by only programing and using one at a time.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree try clearing. that is done by disconnecting power to the motor. then reconnect, and reactivate. if that does not work contact Motor Guide.

John_S

Rear Admiral

From the manual:

Erasing the Receiver?s Memory
To erase all electronic ID numbers stored in the receiver?s memory:
1. Power-up the motor
2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold the ?Left?, ?Right?, ?+? and ?-? buttons on the foot-pedal simultaneously
3. Listen for a long beep indicating the receiver has erased all stored electronic ID numbers

Activating the Foot-Pedal Electronic ID
Each foot-pedal has a unique electronic ID number. Up to four electronic ID numbers (Digital Remote Control units and/or foot-pedals) can be stored by your receiver. For your foot-pedal to respond to your commands only and not those of other boaters, you must activate the electronic ID number into your receiver. Follow the instructions below (one time only) to activate each new remote control device:

1. Connect the motor to a power source - within 10 seconds, press and hold the ?+? and ?-? buttons on the foot-pedal simultaneously
2. Listen for a long beep
3. The receiver has now learned and stored the electronic ID number of the foot-pedal.

Note: If you are activating multiple remote control devices (up to four devices can be accommodated) the motor must be disconnected from the power source and reconnected to the power source between activating each remote control device.

http://sites.mercurymarine.com/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/MOTORGUIDE/MOTORGUIDE%20SUPPORT/ONLINE_MANUALS/MANUAL_CONTENT/8M4000137%20-%20MOTORGUIDE%20WIRELESS%20OWNER'S%20MANUAL.PDF

John_S

Rear Admiral

Another thought is that the transmitter itself is bad. Maybe some water, especially saltwater, has got into the contacts of the foot control or keyfob. Try a new keyfob.

ktpatton

Recruit

I had the exact same problem with my new W75 and it ended up being a faulty computer board in the head of the motor. I assure you that I wasn't pressing ANY buttons and it just operated by itself. I did not have a belt remote at the time, only the foot pedal. Once the MotorGuide help line stepped me through erasing the memory and re-programming the foot pedal, it was still behaving in this manner. They then recommended that I try another foot pedal, which I did, and the problem persisted. That's when they referred me to a service center where the board was replaced for free under warranty. The service center said that they repaired a number of faulty boards this year.
I than had a separate problem with the foot pedal when I could not get a consistent response from the right directional button on the pedal. I then tried a belt remote and it worked fine, so I was given a new foot pedal, again free under warranty.
Hopefully, that is the end of the problems.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem with my W55 and I sent it to the warranty center and they replaced my whole mother board and so far I had no problems yet (Knock on wood). You have 3year warranty on all Motorguide wireless trolling motors so If you encounter any problems take it back so You can get it looked after.

jack_bauer

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I went out again this weekend and tried clearing the memory and re-initializing the key control. No luck...the thing continued to randomly turn whenever and however frequently it wanted to. I'm fed up.

And to make matters worse, after using the motor for about an hour (this thing is brand spankin' new) I raised it up and stowed it and took off with the outboard only to see gray colored water coming out of the head unit. I don't know a lot about trolling motors but I can't think of any reason for water to be coming out of the head unit, much less water mixed with what appeared to be lubricant oil of some sort.

I'm calling the dealer where I got it and starting the warranty processs....what a pain!

jas191lts

Recruit

I have the same motor and the same 'water' in the motor problem. Boat stays in garage, except when fishing, and has never been in rain, but motor head was filled with water. When getting up on plane, the top - head pours out water that gets progressively oilier and oilier. Motor continued to run but filled with water.

Service center here says 'they' have an issue with water getting in around the motor shaft, and the transmission goes out.

I have had 3 replaced in less than 3 years. This will be the fourth one installed, all under warranty. First one would not start at all. the next two had burned up electrical boards in them, got in hydrilla on one instance and have no idea what happened the second time.

Other than that it is a great little machine.

FH1850

Recruit

I have the W75 wireless also and I have use it but maybe 6 times. The last time I was out it started going full speed. I couldn't turn it off or slow it down. I ended up unplugging it. Now I have it in for a new system board and they don't have any. Motorguide pretty much told me too bad so sad. You will have to wait with all the other hundreds of people that have the same problem. They don't have a clue as to how long it will be, they tell you up to two weeks, but the dealer said that is their "default" response. Some poor guys have been waiting for over a month. I am going on vacation Sunday and now I have to go without the trolling motor. I use that exclusively when I fish. Now I've got sqwat!! What kind of customer service is this?? This unit is less then a few months old and I asked them to give me a replacement unit but they refused. So now I have a $900 trolling motor (now worth ZERO)I can't use for who knows how long??? I had a MinnKota on my other boat and never had any trouble. :mad:

Wyatt Kirby

Recruit

I am curious if anyone with the same or similar motor has had this problem. Also, any wireless device experts out there please weigh in.

I just had a new Motorguide SW75 installed on my 24' Champion Bay boat. The first two trips out have been relatively frustrating in that.....get this...you sitting down? The motor randomly just turns and goes in whatever direction it feels like going. I'll set it straight, and the next thing I know, it's turned 20 or 30 degrees right or left. I re-direct and it's good for a while until it decides it doesn't like my current course. It's extremely annoying. Also, I hear lots of beeps even when I'm not pushing buttons. It seems like it's getting a signal from somewhere, but no one is around.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I am having the same problem. Motorguide is a good product, the manufacturer is aware of this problem, but is not willing to fix. The spurious changes of direction are not caused by near by boats or other electronics I have. Manufactuer should fix this.