trolling motor problems

Greenjello

Seaman
bought a boat with a motorguide 50lb 24v trolling motor its probably 10-15yrs old. I have cleaned the plug connections and made sure the batteries are charged but the motor just doesn't seem to have much power even on level 5. Its on a Nitro 170DC.

Where do I start is the motor most likely shot or is it more likely a battery issue I hate to replace and it be the other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling motor problems

You realize you need two batteries connected in series to provide 24 volts don't you? One battery provides 12 volts which is barely enough power to turn the prop. This is what the wiring would look like.

24VTrollerWiring.jpg

Toxarch

Seaman

Ditto what Silvertip said. A 50 amp breaker should work.

Greenjello

Seaman

It is set up for 24v with 2 batteries...do people think they can get 24v off of one battery?

The batteries are connected there is a fuse and the wiring seems to be in good shape.

I have narrowed it down to the motor or the batteries, is there a way to test either or both

Toxarch

Seaman

Put a volt meter on the batteries. What's the voltage of each?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Do you measure 24 volts at the trolling motor receptacle. If not, its the wiring or batteries. If the boat has a switch panel with switch(es) labeled CHARGE/RUN or 12/24 or something similar, make sure those switches are set properly. Looking at the wiring is not a good check. Disconnect and clean the terminals. Then make sure the wiring is actually correct. If you do measure 24 volts at the receptacle that says the troller plug is bad, the cable is bad, or there is an issue with the motor. And yes -- people who don't understand electrical issues have no clue what it takes to get 24 volts. Batteries can be load tested at your local auto store -- usually for free but make sure you charge them before you go.

Greenjello

Seaman

well it ended up being I have a bad battery, apparently there is a bad plate. It will charge to 12volts but it drops off fast under load.

Thanks for all the responses.