Recommended Battery Charger

tab4593

Cadet
Hello to all of my boating brothers. I am configuring a two battery system. One for Starting my boat the other deep cycle battery for my trolling motor, lights, bilge pump, livewell and two fishfinders.

Any suggestions on the type of charger I should purchase? For the starting battery I am going with the Maxx at Walmart, dual purpouse and for the deep cycle I have an Interstate Marine battery but dont quote me I am not for sure.

Also does anyone think that running two fishfinders, a bilge and aerator pump, lights and trolling motor are too much for one deep cycle battery.

All devices are 12 volt devices I have a humming bird 200dx and a hummingbird 383c. Trolling motor I think is 55lb thrust.

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Recommended Battery Charger

I would split it up differently.

I would at least put the lights and console depth finder on the starting battery. If you ran your trolling motor too much and brought the deep-cycle to its knees, you would want to still have the lights and console ff for navigation purposes.

I have the bilge on the starter battery, such that you can pump out while motor is running and charging. But, don't leave my fishing boat moored/unattended, such that I want/need an auto-bilge capacity.

Is it too much on one deep-cycle? Hard to say. You haven't provided any usage patterns or the reserve capacity of the battery. The trolling motor is the big draw. If your trolling motor is digital/infinite speed control, it provides better battery life at slow speeds than a speed position type. Everything else, depends on your needs.

- Bilge pump should be minor, with just rain and occasional errant wave.
- Aerator should be on timer and only used when needed. Not critical to getting home.
- FF: even that small color screen 383c shouldn't draw that much.

For a charger, stick with a name brand, and would recommend a 5/10amp if you want to make sure the deep-cycle is ready to go at first light, when you didn't pull-out until an hour after dark.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I would split it up differently.

I would at least put the lights and console depth finder on the starting battery. If you ran your trolling motor too much and brought the deep-cycle to its knees, you would want to still have the lights and console ff for navigation purposes.

I have the bilge on the starter battery, such that you can pump out while motor is running and charging. But, don't leave my fishing boat moored/unattended, such that I want/need an auto-bilge capacity.

Is it too much on one deep-cycle? Hard to say. You haven't provided any usage patterns or the reserve capacity of the battery. The trolling motor is the big draw. If your trolling motor is digital/infinite speed control, it provides better battery life at slow speeds than a speed position type. Everything else, depends on your needs.

- Bilge pump should be minor, with just rain and occasional errant wave.
- Aerator should be on timer and only used when needed. Not critical to getting home.
- FF: even that small color screen 383c shouldn't draw that much.

For a charger, stick with a name brand, and would recommend a 5/10amp if you want to make sure the deep-cycle is ready to go at first light, when you didn't pull-out until an hour after dark.

Right on the money advice :cool:
The little stuff i leave on my cranking battery which my motor keeps well charged -- radio, cigar lighter are on my trolling motor battery -
FWIW i've used a Sears 2/10 amp for years & never had a problem :)

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Sears Diehard 2 amp trickle charger. It's small and looks like the battery tender you see in motorcycle magazines. It will only slow charge the battery and when full it goes into float or monitor mode.

As far as what kind of batteries you need, you have to do a little bit of math first IMO. List all those things you want on a piece of paper and write down next to them how many amps they draw. Fish finders don't draw that much, bilge pumps usually draw about 3 amps. Lights and livewell will draw a pretty good amount of amps and obviously that trolling motor is going to draw a lot. Add that up and see how many amps you have total. Your deep cycle battery needs to provide enough amp hours to keep them all running at the same time for a long period of time in the event you actually had to do just that. Do a search on amp hours and marine cranking amps to give yourself a bit of info on those important aspects of battery operation then you will see what I mean.