Ship to shore setup

johnd1

Recruit
I want an easy way to comunicate with home from my boat. Only need about 20 miles of range. I have a mounted radio in my boat and wasn't sure if a handheld would be enough for the house? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Ship to shore setup

Doubt it but a nice tower with an antenna, a base station VHF or a full size 25 watter with a 12VDC power supply will punch through.

VHF is all line of site so if the house is on a mountain and the boat is below on a lake the handheld may work....

Then there's the cell phone thing...

jhebert

Ensign
Re: Ship to shore setup

I want an easy way to comunicate with home from my boat. Only need about 20 miles of range. I have a mounted radio in my boat and wasn't sure if a handheld would be enough for the house? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

You are completely out of luck if you are thinking about using the VHF Marine Band Radio Service for this communication. You will need to license your home as a shore station, and I seriously doubt you can do that under the VHF Marine Radio service. The FCC does not give shore station licenses to private individuals as a general rule.