Hey guys can I have a moment of your time for a ?

rookiex

Cadet
I was looking for new batteries for my 88 skeeter.As Im restoring it.

There are 2 Old batteries on like the one in a car it starts the motor and a GIANT one running the trolling motor.

I have heard the ''everstart Maxx'' Deep cycle is good for the trolling motor?

Is this true?
And whats a good ''starting battery?

I keep seeing people talk about running there battery down trolling them switching it to there ''trolling battery'' while the other charges up?

Can someone help me understand this switching of the batteries and solar charges and chargers Im so confused I have reserched but im still lost.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hey guys can I have a moment of your time for a ?

... hiya rook,

Well the brand debate can run deep(no pun intended) but your thought procress is right. Your going to want a deep cycle marine battery with a load of amp hours in the 150 - 180 range. It will get you some trolling time long as you keep it mid thrust. What size o/b on your skeeter? Charging up batteries is going to take some hp so hopefully you have a larger engine to make this happen. The starting battery can also raise a debate. I use a Motorcraft tuff series battery but have no other gadets plugged into it. I also run a switch setup to allow a shared or selection of what battery to charge or draw from. You may want to stay with a mix of Deep Cycle Marine for just your trolling and a Dual Cycle Marine for starting.

You will have others more knowledgable chime in but thats a cliff notes version.

Good boating.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

No debate on what azlake told you :D
As for as brand i use interstate buy honestly i know of no "junk" brands so just do some shopping around :cool:
Can't tell you much about charging, i just pretty much finished re doing my '87 Starcraft bass boat & '87 70hp Johnson & the motor does a great job keeping the cranking battery charged. My trolling motor battery gets charged by a old fashioned battery charger when i get home :)

LiLGrady17

Seaman

Wally World has the Everstarts.
Myself & several I know use them no problems..

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a Sears Diehard starting battery on my Yamaha. Its a 200hp so I have plenty of charging current. My deep cycle is a West Marine brand. Both are about three seasons old now and seem to be just fine. Both are lead acid batteries (let's confuse him and throw in the gel cell, AGM, lead acid stuff to debate which are better.) I know the local marine mechanic by me uses Interstate batteries on all the boats he rigs. I have interstate in my truck too. I see Everstarts a lot as well in this forum.

What you really need to figure out is how many amps you want your batteries to provide and which ones power what. I have zero experience with trolling motors except to know that they draw a lot of amps, especially cheaper ones I'm told. Don't forget to consider what electronics you have on the boat too. A stereo, a vhf, maybe some courtesy lights, nav lights, anchor lights, perhaps a FF or gps/sonar combo? These all add to your amp capacity total. A "starting" battery is typically going to have a decent amount of cranking amps but will be low in the amp hour department. Amp hours is what runs your electronics for a long period of time. Your deep cycle batteries will be lower in cranking amps but very high in amp hours. "Dual purpose" batteries will have the best of both worlds but not in the amounts the others provide by themselves. Whether they are called deep cycle, dual purpose, marine starting battery, whatever, the numbers don't lie. Amp hours and marine cranking amps. That's what determines how much capacity your electronics can draw.