No Sound from Stereo

comradburk

Recruit
Alright, I recently purchased a 2003 Glastron GX205, but am having a problem with the stereo. The stereo turns on just fine and looks as though it's playing (you can scroll through stations and put in a CD and the time progresses through the song), but absolutely no sound comes out of the speakers at all. There's no pop when turning the stereo on, no buzz or fuzzy noise when switching to the radio or anything.
Anyways, I was wondering where I should start looking to diagnose this problem. I've checked all the fuses under the dash and they're good, so would the next step be disconnecting each speaker one by one to see if one's shorting out or should I disconnect the head unit and somehow test that? Any tips would be great...I've never been that great with electrical systems in vehicles :p

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: No Sound from Stereo

I'd start by getting a cheap speaker someplace and real quick wiring it up to the stereo if possible to see if the sound works. If it does then you have bad wires or bad speakers.

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: No Sound from Stereo

Even easier than that grab yourself a 9volt battery and some jumper wires. disconnect speaker from radio, connect battery to terminals on speaker, if the cone moves while current is applied then the speaker should atleast make SOME noise with the radio attached. This would indicate a bad final on the radio, or bad wiring.

You can also try to attach the speaker directly to the back of the radio and eliminate the wiring to see if it works.

Are you sure you don't have a mute turned on somewhere?

Most mutes will turn off when the volume is increased, however I did have one radio in an old truck that someone hit MUTE on the remote, and would not turn off till I found the remote and turned it off.

Bill