Volt gauge problems

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently installed new gauges on my 19' center console and everything was great the first couple of trips out but my volt gauge is acting up...i charge my batteries when i get back in from boating and before i use the boat again (if its a while)...usually dont charge for long (the outboard charges pretty good)

whats been happening is when i charge up the batteries and soon as i disconnect the charger cables and flip the switch for the gauges to come on the needle reads about 10-11 Volts...when i first got the gauges hooked up the Volt gauge would read around 13 with a fully charged battery, the batteries have plenty of Volts when i test with my multi meter cant remember the numbers but they were both above 12.5...

So what would make the gauge do this, i havent changed anything with the wiring (the gauges are wired to a toggle that is in a fused panel...just cant understand why it read good before and not now...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volt gauge problems

Why do you have your gauges on a separate switch. They should be powered from the "A" terminal on the ignition switch so they operate only when the key is on. Remove the voltmeter and wire it directly to one of the batteries temporarily. If it now reads the same as your handheld, then you have a wiring issue and I suspect you have a high resistance connection somewhere. Voltmeters are not nearly as precision as the handheld but it should not be as far off as you indicate either.

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volt gauge problems

i fixed it, the stud in the back of the gauge came loose...the 12v accesory port on my old johnson control doesnt work, so i put them on a toggle switch temporary and will be switching to binnacle controls soon, so it will all be done..thanks for the ideas :)