shore line polarity

luvs2fish2

Recruit
Here's one for you....

We have had our boat in the water for 2 weeks now, When we decided to plug the shore line in this time, after being out (on calm waters) for about 3 hours... the polarity is now saying it is reverse. I can plug the line in and turn the line as required to lock in it then tighten the cupler on the shore line and get reverse polarity but if I loosen the line NOT the cupler I get a "good light" even thoughit isn't bright as usual.

If anyone could help me and advise me of what to do it would be great before I pay for service to some out which starts at $500. to just show up.

Then to top it all off the bildge pumps are not even coming on now. Could this be from the shore power?

(1994 28' Bayliner Cierra model)

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: shore line polarity

Sounds like it may be a backfeeding, or a open neutral problem with the Shore power box. You would need a multimeter and some know how to check the shore power box.

Have you trie to plug in at a different slip?

No offense, but if you have to ask how to do this, you really shouldn't do it yourself. working around electricity with the water in close proximity with a possible open ground/neutral can be potentially life threatening.

Bill

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Welcome to iboats! Great community here.

Bill is on to something there. If you don't understand electric you need to think twice about taking this project on yourself. You will need to be very careful working on the boat right beside the water. Maybe someone you know has a better understanding and could help you.

Anyway, I hope that you find the problem. Taking a meter to the shore power box would be the first place to start.

Good luck and be safe.

luvs2fish2

Recruit

Thank you both for your help it is GREATLY APPRECIATED. I will have the people at the dock check the power supply for me and I will also ask on of my neighbors it I could try their power cord.

I understand water and electricy don't mix and didn't want to do anything until I go the opion of some that has may of had or heard of this problem. Believe me I will not play with it!

Thank you again for all your help!

Splat

Lieutenant

Yea I would see if the marina has an open slip you can pull into just for a few minutes and try your cable. Perhaps borrow a neighbors cable too just to eliminate all the possibilities.

Just felt like passing this along, I've heard of marinas with bad or open neutrals in their shore power, and boats in this marina suffered from rapid electro galvination, and their sacrificial anodes wearing away really quick, like with in a few weeks. This was one way they convinced the marina to take a look at their power hookups.

Start simple, might be something dumb. You never know. Have you made sure your contacts in your cable, and on the boat are clean.
Bill