Help me Pick a Hand Held VHF

deverona

Recruit
I have a 14 foot john boat. I am going to take a 5 day trip in the back country of the Everglades and some spots along the outside along the Florida Bay. I need a VHF, and I would like it to be waterproof & have aa battery option. I dont know what else would be important other than I will be in a very remote area so I guess the one that communicates the furthest would be best.

Which do you reccommend?

Thanks in advance.;)

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help me Pick a Hand Held VHF

The last hand held I purchased was over 10 years ago and I think that all of these are pretty much standard now: Scan, preset channel function, key pad lock, background lighting for the screen and the keys, one key distress feature, it floats, water proof or resistant, weather alert.
Uniden and Standard Horizon are reasonably priced; I have an older Icom M1 and never had a problem. Good Luck Freelancer.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1

Standard Horizon has held up great for us w/excellent battery life.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Mines a Hummingbird. Works great. Has a rechargable battery as well as cig lighter power and another pack for AA Batteries. It has a base to set it in to rechage at home is water proof (So it says) has scan, instant emergency and some other cool stuff. I think it was like $99.00

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have an Icom M34. It works fine and floats.

Splat

Lieutenant

Icom M72

You get what you pay for.

Bill

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

If your in a VERY remote area the 5 watt hand held probably wont punch through to far.

I'd consider a model that can use an external antenna and mount a fixed antenna to the boat. The additional gain will help the signal to get through.

Better yet would be a 25 watt fixed VHF.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

generally, a 1 watt reached 1 mile and a 5 watt reaches 5 miles. he horizon is what--9 miles? Also each VHF antenna needs to see the other, so you can't do much over the curve of the earth, if blocked by trees or down in a hole. So don't plan on a hand-held to get help from a remore location, but it will work if there are large vessels/bases nearby. it's good to have to call down boats you can see.
I have had a series of Unidens but I recommend Icom as the best. My Unidens have been spotty but in my circumstances I can tolerate it.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Icom M72

You get what you pay for.

Bill

I recently bought this unit and I am very happy with it. I can recieve the coast guard broadcasts from 40 miles away. However, they have a very tall antenna. It is all about line of sight. They would never be able to hear me if I tried calling them.

The M72 does not have all the functions you are talking about but has been a great unit! (No AA battery pack) It does have a removable antenna so you could mount a fixed antenna to the boat and plug the cable from the unit in the handheld (with an adapter) and that would help your range some too.

The M72 is also the only unit that I have seen that the max broadcasting power is 6 watts (Federal maximum for handhelds) most other units are 5 watts. Not a huge difference but every little bit helps.

There is a $10 rebate for the M72 going on right now in case you are interested.

I have been very happy with the unit and would highly recommend it. Good luck with whatever you choose and have a great trip!