Humminbird SI Transducer

Meridian

Recruit
I have a Lowe Tahiti, aluminum, which I installed a Humminbird 797 SI on last year. The unit works fine but I can not seem to get the transducer set so that it does not shoot a rooster tail in the air behind the boat. I leveled the boat and transducer according to the setup instructions and since then have been just guessing to try and get it better. In the attached photo's it might appear that the transducer is not level, that's because it is not anymore I have been messing with it. Any suggestions?

I have another question about this unit. I would like to be able to use two of the quick attach brakets to be able to move the display from the console to the bow using the same transducer. How would I go about this?

Attachments

• IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1571.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 0

gss036

Commander
Re: Humminbird SI Transducer

Humminbird makes a plug which they will give to you free or you can just use caulking and fill in the hole behind the trans duecer.

John_S

Rear Admiral

HB makes a switch to use two mounts. You flip the switch to whichever one you have the head unit plugged into. They have a different switch for 2 transducers to one head unit. If you have external gps you will need another cable such that it works from either mount.

Electrical tape wrapped around the gap between the transducer head and bracket, holds up well if you don't have the plug. If you already have the plug, you can try raising the transducer slightly. It will reduce the rooster tail, but might have more issues with bottom lock at speed.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the insert, and no rooster tail.

You can buy a mounting kit at low cost
and it should have the plug.

Expidia

Commander

Welcome to iBoats . . .

I have nothing to add since the other posters already gave you great answers but if you want to read about how that spray problem finally got resolved read through this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225845&highlight=humminbird+tranducer+spray

I post this for you because it's typical of how a company won't admit a design flaw for fear that they would have to do a recall. When many of us started calling (their is also a Humminbird 797 SI user forum on the web) and reported the rooster tail issue we were told during the first year after they introduced the 797 that there have been no issues reported . . . hahahahaha. As the Gov of California woud say . . . Dats a goood one!

Finally, after 2 years they came out with the fix of the rubber plug.

I like the unit but have no respect for companies that try and Bullsh*t me after I spend $1000 on their product and they tell me there is no design flaw after I would drive by low hanging trees and knock a few squirrels off the branches with my "non-existent" 797 rooster tail spray :D.

Others here love Humminbirds customer service, but that's what makes the world go around.

See how tactful I am. I didn't ever mention John S as a Humminbird cus serv rep hugger :D :) :D

John_S

Rear Admiral

Expidia,

Just for this rep lover, can you name ANY electronics consumer product recall that was not safety related?

Expidia

Commander

Just wanted to see if you had a sense of humor :wink: