Need Help Boat Electrical System!!!

KTOWNCABBY

Cadet
I Just Purchased A 1988 Imperial 260fc The Boat And Everything On It Works Perfectly. I Don't Understand If The Fridge Etc. Operate Without The Shore Power Hookup While Boat Is Underway. It Has A 5.7 Litre Volvo Penta With An Alternator, Also A 2 Battery System In It. So What Do I Look For To Find Out If The Fridge, Air, Etc.. Works While I Am Underway. The Electrical Panel Has Switches As Follows:
Main Power Switch
Fridge
Stove
Converter??
Outlets
Water Heater
I Think There Is One Or Two More Switches But I Can't Remember Off Hand.
Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Need Help Boat Electrical System!!!

If you have a boat that has a----
Fridge
Stove
Converter
Outlets
Water Heater

I can't even afford to talk to you :(
Funnin :D I can afford to give you a bump back up in hopes you'll get the right advice ;)

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

I would search the net for the fridge model number.

most are 120vac (shore power) or LP run. Some have a 12V option. When you run off of 120vac or LP, you need some 12V source to run the circuit panel.

If you have a "3-way" the 12VDC drain is really high.

I would presume you have an 2-way, (120vAC/ Propane) model, since you have a water heater, which is likely propane as well.

Many are "automatic" and will figure out there is no more AC(shore Power) and will automatically switch to Propane. Nothing will work unless that circuit breaker is ON.

That has to be one nice boat... how bout pictures :)

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

the easiest way to find out is to turn them on and see if they work without shore power plugged in.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

The switches you listed are all 110 volt shore power stuff.

Your boat should have a 12 volt gang of breakers too. On that panel you would look for 12 v fridge.

The fridge will drain the battery pretty fast so you may want to only run it while the engine is on. (assuming you have a 12 volt fridge)

You and look in the fridge inside the door and there should be a switch to tun it from 110 to 12 (on some models)

If you keep the boat on a dock, plugged in and the fridge on, it will stay cold for hours when you are out on the boat.

My boat used to have a fridge and I used to do just that.

Hope you can chill using your fridge...enjoy

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

the easiest way to find out is to turn them on and see if they work without shore power plugged in.

Darn, that is a simple solution :p