Problem with Brand New Minn Kota

rndn

Commander
I just purchased a brand new Minn Kota Terrova 55. I used it for the first time today and the motor is making a grinding sound. I bought it from an online Minn Kota authorized seller and really need it this weekend. I called Minn Kota directly to ask if they could authorize me to exchange it at Bass Pro or Gander Mountain because the closest service center is 75.12 miles from me. They politely said no and that I would need to drive to the service center. I asked if there would be any payment for the 150+ round trip miles that I will need to drive twice, once to drop it off and once to pick it up, and they politely said no. So here I am spending almost $1000 for an new trolling motor and now will have to drive over 300 miles jjst to be able to use the thing.
My question is, has anyone else had issues with their new Minn Kota trolling motors?
Does anyone else have any other ideas for me to get Minn Kota to stand behind their product and offer me some type of compensation for my time and traveling expenses?:mad::confused:

gkosel

Seaman
Re: Problem with Brand New Minn Kota

That is the big downfall of buying online.

Bass Pro shouldn't have to take it back since they would have to eat part of that. They don't get fully reimbursed from MinnKota or any company for that matter.

Where is the grinding sound coming from? Is it possible that your prop is not properly seated around the metal pin on the prop shaft?

Or is the grinding coming from the inside of the motor housing?​

rndn

Commander

I just got back from my 150 mile round trip, with the repaired motor. There is a plastic housing in the nose cone that was broken. The repair dude said it was a common problem from shipping. If the wrong side of the box get's hit the motor shaft is pushed forward and the plastic housing breaks. It's a really lousy design and hopefully Minn Kota will fix the problem.
I'm still unhappy with needing to drive 150 miles just to get my brand new motor working.
As far as it not being fair to Bass Pro, I fully understand which is why I asked Minn Kota to authorize Bass Pro so Bass Pro would not be out anything.
By the way, if you're in the Buffalo, New York area and need your trolling motor, downrigger, or just about anything boat related, try Tony's Reel repair. He fixed my motor while I waited so I didn't have to make the 150 mile round trip twice.

gkosel

Seaman

I am glad to hear that you got it fixed and didn't have to make two 150m round trips.

I have a brand new MinnKota Terrova sitting on my boat right now awaiting a final electrical wiring. I haven't turned it on yet, so I am hoping that I don't run into the same problem.​