transom trolling motor on bow?

raven174us

Seaman
I have a transom mounted trolling motor that was rigged on the back. I'd like to mount it on the front of my 79 Chrysler runabout. Has anyone does this and have pics? I was thinking of just making an L bracket thats heavy duty and mount it on the bow. I've already checked the shaft length and it should be fine.

redfiveshoe

Cadet
Re: transom trolling motor on bow?

I have done this on my boat. I used an "L" bracket with a piece of pressure treated 2x4 on the top to have something to attach the motor to. Most trolling motor heads can be reversed as well. Just remove the screw next to the shaft and spin it around. just be careful not to damage any of the internal wiring when putting the screw back in.

Academy sports sells similar brackets for $29.95.

raven174us

Seaman

Yeah, I already need to take the head off. Somehow they took it apart and put the transom mount on upside down to rig it on the back. I'm guessing they took the head apart and unhooked the wires.
I'll check that place out for brackets. Thanks

raven174us

Seaman

I found a way i could mount it with the hardware I have handy but I would have to out a longer shaft on it and I can't find how to remove it from the motor itself.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

iboats.com has the bracket for sale, already made and tested.

I put one on the front of my 18' jon boat, and have my 55 lb. MK on it.
It works great. Only difference between that setup and an actual full
bow mount is that you must have a hand on it when you want to make
a change in speed or steering. That doesn't cramp my style any, and
I like it.

Good luck!

raven174us

Seaman

Thank you I will go look. I keep forgetting that iboats sells accessories.:redface:
Oh and sorry for putting this in the wrong category.