My Retirement Project

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a used Motor Guide T34 trolling motor. Don't have any experience with things. Is this a decent troller for a 16' tinny ? I also bought a bow mount for the troller, but there's no way to mount the mount on the bow so I'm still working on that issue. :)

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: My Retirement Project

You didn't specify jonboat or deep-V. I have mounted troll motors on both with a short pc. of 2"x4", etc. bolted endways on "bestfit" place near front of boat. Secure to hull with a couple of lag bolts thru backing plate on inside. It may be necessary to angle cut end of mount to keep it square with c'line of the boat.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry 'bout that. It's a 16' alum mod deep V. (88 Gregor) I'm picking it up from the boat shop today and doing a short shake down on the way home.
I'll have a better idea when I do a detail shake down early next week on how best to mount the troller. I'm thinking I want to use clamps as much as possible so as to keep the whole setup portable. But, I'm just hashing this about right now.

Any comments on the Motor Guide T34 ?

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Trolling motors are like Fords and Chevys. I have used Motorguide for years and had excellent service. Some folks swear by Minnkota. I think you will find the T34 marginal in windy conditions for your size boat, depending on what you are trying to do.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I appreciate the insight. ;)