Lowrance LVR-250 Weather Alert Problem

kam582

Recruit
I have a problem that I can't seem to find the answer to, and I am hoping that someone can assist me.

I traded boats last fall and am trying to get acquainted with the new electronics. In the boat is a Lowrance LVR-250 radio. It has been driving me crazy with a problem that I cannot figure out. When I listen to the weather channel, the radio will suddenly start broadcasting the alert tone, which is very annoying. It does this even though I do not have the alert setting on. It does this every time, at seemingly random times. It does this even though there is no weather alert being issued by the weather service. I brought this to the attention of the dealer, who told me that the distress button had been pushed and that the fact that there was no GPS data entered it was sounding the alert. I reset the radio to factory defaults, but it still does the same thing.

It is something with the weather alert, as the ALT words are flashing on the screen after the **** thing sounds. I have shut down all the GPS and DSC functions, but the radio is still doing the annoying alert thing. I can't believe that the weather service has the alert tone going out at random, as I think that my in house weather radio would also be going off.

I went back to the dealer, who gave me a new radio. I switched it out, but the new radio does the same thing. It has to be a setting that I am missing, even though I have been through the manual several times.

I have emailed Lowrance with the only result is being a canned response sending me to the self help pages, which I had already looked at. I try and call, but all I ever get is a busy signal, except for today. Today I got a message saying everyone was at a company meeting. Made me go hmmm.

Anyone have any ideas? This thing is driving me crazy.