Fishing with Eagle GPS

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
I debated posting this in "electronics" but really this is a fisherman's question so I posted it here. I have been planning to buy a new sonar with GPS for some time now, and actually buying the thing is getting close. However, I have a question some fishermen might be able to answer for me.

I am looking at the Eagle FishElite 640C (642C) or the Eagle FishElite 500c. I noticed that it is noted in the description that speed indication is attained by an "accessory" device. But I am confused- I don't want a pitot tube or water-wheel speed indicator on my transom, I would prefer to simply display the GPS reporting of my speed which is what I do with the ancient hand held Magellan I currently use. Do either of these units report the GPS-calculated speed or do they require using a wheel or pitot speed indicator? Do these also require the "accessory" to read water temp too, or is water temp done through the transducer? I hope the transducer...

Thank you! Mark

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fishing with Eagle GPS

I wouldn't waste a buck on a GPS that doesn't report speed. . .programmable in miles or knots or kliks.

Eagle/Lowrance are very good SONARs, Mark, but I waaaaay prefer Garmin for GPS, and seperate units for obvious reasons.

Your question, BTW, is not a fishing question; it is an electronics question as you first thought. I am going with your first thought.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Mark,

I had an Eagle Intellimap 502C (the gps only version in the 500 series). It definitely had GPS speed. If it says that in the literature, it is probably from the fish finder only version, which would need a paddlewheel. I think you do allot of trolling, so knowing the water speed may be of interest, along with gps ground speed.

The color screen on the GPS was good, and I also used the MapCreate 6 for topo maps. I used it as a car map assist GPS along with the boat, until I got a car only one. Biggest issue I had was it only had an internal GPS receiver and no connector to add an external one. It was rather slow to acquire satellites, and would loose track more than the other GPS?s I own. The Eagle/Lowrance customer service was very slow to respond, as well.

Having a seperate GPS and FF was a pain (for me), and my HB has combined features you can't do with seperates. I sold the 502C after about a year.

I would think it would have temp in the transducer.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Hey John, JB- Thanks for the info.

I actually think I will wind up with two units- a sonar and a seperate GPS. I like the large screen on the 640c but the split screen doesn't give me enough of either function. Plus, I like the color GPS screens, but color sonar doesn't do much for me. As a friend pointed out today, if you know how to read a sonar screen, a black-and-white sonar image tells you just as much as a color sonar image, just in grayscale. Thinking about the the FishMark 480 for down the road.

Plus, I already have a sonar I am very used to- I got it about 1993ish or 1994. It is an Eagle Supra Pro ID. It is old but it's caught me a lot of fish. So I may run the sonar I have now, and use the GPS of the 640c

Anyone else own or have owned these units?

John_S

Rear Admiral

While it may be the same basic info, but the color screen is much easier to read, especialy at a distance. I am still using the B&W at the bow and would switch it to color when it breaks.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Eagle 640C will register GPS mph speed. It also has the capability to add a "paddle wheel" speed sensor but is not provided.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Seon- thanks!

Any thoughts on the internal or external antenna? I am not opposed to the external antenna model (640c), but the internal (642c) could be used in my car without extra trouble. But Imported_John mentions trouble with satellite tracking... I am using a handheld Garmin from 1993 now, so I can't help but think that the Eagle with the internal would do better than that. What have you experienced?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Do not assume it is better than the handheld. On the suv dash it (under windshield) it could loose track near some hills (NY hills are far from mnts). Also, if pulled back a little and not completly under roof line, it would loose track. On boat, I could loose track if standing near dash or hunched over dash part way. I highly recommend the external recevier even if it is a pain for car. In some ways, having only the receiver on the dash.

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally I would not have another Eagle/lowance unit if you gave it to me. I purchased a 500 seacharter new apx 2 yrs ago and have had to return it 6 times for repair. It only gets used apx 4 times a season and when not in use it is stored in a soft case in the gun safe. I am verry dissapointed in Eagles quality and service.
Dont take my word for this,do a google search and you will find that lowrance is not what it once was! Also they were bought out about 2 years ago. Do yourself a favor and purchase a Raymarine unit or a Furuno.

Steve

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Having a seperate GPS and FF was a pain (for me), and my HB has combined features you can't do with seperates. I sold the 502C after about a year.
What functions are you talking about?

Any thoughts on the internal or external antenna?
One thing that I have noticed is that some brands antennas? are much more sensitive to shadowing than others. Standard Horizon and Lowrance are some of the worst. Unless you have a mounting location that is out of the way of people and structure a remote antenna doesn't really buy you much.

As a friend pointed out today, if you know how to read a sonar screen, a black-and-white sonar image tells you just as much as a color sonar image, just in grayscale.
Surely the words of a B&W user. ;)

I've not meet a single person that made the change from B&W to color that would ever go back to B&W. The difference in target recognition and discrimination is like day and night.

Why use a flashlight when all you need to do is to flip a switch? :)

John_S

Rear Admiral

Functions? In 2D or Side Scan I can move the cursor over items of interest that I have already passed by and set a waypoint mark over them. On a gps only, you would have to guess how far back that was on the track. On mine, I can even do recordings, review them at home, and do the waypoint mark on something I missed while fishing.