Older Motorguide trolling motor won't go

evster

Recruit
I have an older Motorguide foot controlled trolling motor. I think the model is stealth and its 30lb thrust. Yesterday I just started using it and after about a minute it just stopped and I noticed a small amount of smoke coming out of the foot pedal. Obviously something electrical has melted something.

It was dark when I got home so I haven't had a chance to get a close look at the foot pedal. But it there anything I should be looking for? Has this happened to anyone else before?

Any help is much appreciated since I am going to have to try and fix it myself.

Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Older Motorguide trolling motor won't go

Siince you have no idea what happened, we can't possibly help until you take it apart and see what happened. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Obviously something got hot and burned out. Use your nose to find the bad part. Burned electrical items have a very burned smell. I will stick my neck out however and suggest you look at the power wires where they enter the foot control. Twisting, tugging, and generally abusing the foot control results in the power cable strain relief breaking which causes the wires to eventually break which causes a short and shorts cause smoke and sometimes fire -- especially if there is no circuit breaker or fuse in the power wire at the battery.