Battery Amp Hours for dummies?

jvwfd51

Cadet
I would like to separate my battery banks and have an Engine battery bank...and an House Battery bank to run all the electronics, inverter, etc.

My question is how do I determine how long I can run all of my electronics before the House Batteries will need recharging. Let me use an example. Say with all of my electronics and accessories on, I get a draw of 50amps. I have a deep cycle battery with a rating of....lets say....200 amp hours. How long can I draw that amount of juice?

And another question that comes to mind is if I was to add a second 200 amp hour deep cycle in parllel, will that change anything?

Obviously I am looking to get the most time I can for those long days on anchor in a cove relaxing. But on the other side of that...i don't want to buy an 8D battery if it will be overkill. I guess you could call it a little battery tutorial. Any help understanding would be awsome.

Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Battery Amp Hours for dummies?

Using your figures 200 divided by 50 = 4. Divide 4 by 2 (becuase a deep cycle battery is worthless when 50% depleted) = 2 hours of use. Adding another battery of the same type in parallel would double that. Always recharge immediately after every use to prolong the life of the battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The next question however, is how do you plan to recharge all those batteries? You won't get the job done with a 15 minute run back to the dock or ramp.

Moody Blue

Captain

200 AH
200 amps for 1 hour (200 x 1 = 200)
20 amps for 10 hours (20 x 10 = 200)
2 amps for 100 hours (2 x 100 = 200)

Those would be ideal theoretical numbers. Reality as pointed out by bhile would result in less useable time.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

To silvertip's comments

200 AH @ 50% discharged = approximatly 12.5 hours @ 20 Amp charging (20% loss)