Do I Need a Fishfinder/GPS?

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 24' deck boat that I use mostly for pulling tubes and water skiing on lakes in Georgia. I will occasionally fish from it, but don't see that as a particularly big use of the boat. My wife just got me a Lowrance Fishfinder/GPS as a birthday present. It looks awesome, but it is also very expensive. I'm not sure I will really get that much benefit from having it, and am thinking of returning it. Before I do so, though, I thought I would seek some input from others about how beneficial they are.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do I Need a Fishfinder/GPS?

It was a gift, Keep it, enjoy it, thank her! If not convinced, consider this:
So your out on the boat some day with the family and fog rolls in. Your wife says; "Well if MR. cheap and didn't return that nice GPS I got him, we could easily find our way home!. But NO......." You can fill in the rest

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Whether I fished or not I can't comprehend going out on the water without knowing the topography or depth of the water around me.

Using GPS to navigate under reduced visibility conditions can be dangerous, that is, unless the broken down boat that is adrift right in front of you or that log that drifted into your path somehow gets picked up and displayed on the screen.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Golf, if I were you I'd keep it hands down.

When on the lake it will be nice to know the depth not only for fishing but also when anchoring and swimming to make sure it is deep enough to dive off the boat.

I agree with the previous post that in some fog/darkness the GPS will be a godsend. I've experienced both conditions with and without a GPS and highly recommend keeping it for peace of mind.:)

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

I boat/fish on Lake Lanier and there is NO WAY I'd be out on that lake without a chartplotter/gps!!!

With lake levels being down, I don't want to spend money on a new lower unit. GPS is a LOT cheaper!

Keep it, use it and have less worry on the water!

That's my 2 cents, but it isn't worth that even!

Eddie P

Seaman Apprentice

Keep it and be sure to talk up how great it is with your wife in earshot. She's a keeper! And the GPS too. :D

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The reason I decided to venture into boating last year was because of all of the technological improvements in boats, motors, trailers and electronics that have been made over the years, foremost including the GPS/Sonar. The device is at a price point now where it almost doesn't make sense NOT to own one.

Being able to know where the shallow areas are before the lower unit knows about them just seems to make a lot of sense.

CrappieLimit

Cadet

If you ever have to call for help, that GPS will give your exact location.
If you do not fish too often, your friends could locate some hot spots on the GPS and make your time on the water productive.
By all means keep it. I don't go on the water without one.