minn kota problem

boydog40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a minn kota maxxum 74 pound thrust, broke the skeg off, took it apart had the skeg re-welded , put the foot back to gether and the prop will spin one time and then you can just hear it hum
what did i do wrong? the prop when you spin it by hand does not spin freely, take it back apart and can find no "binding" problems (or that I can see)
let me know what I did wrong
thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: minn kota problem

If you broke the skeg, you hit something hard. When you hit something hard you probably bent the shaft. Run the motor with the prop off at slow speed. Watch the end of the shaft very carefully. If it wobbles you have a bent shaft. when you put the prop on it binds every revolution.

boydog40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the skeg was broken off when loading on the trailer, the foot/prop never hit anything, but Im with you I think the shaft must be bent but it will not turn but 1/2 turn before it stops again, must be bent huh?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check it as I explained. Only then will you know.

boydog40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

same with prop off 1/2 turn then stops and just hums
binding some where, will pull armature and check for bends

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you rull the armature out before you welded the skeg?

I would woner if the excessive heat from welding could have damaged the field windings?

boydog40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes it was taken apart, just the housing was welded on with no electronics included