Sonar Woes

bassinfan

Recruit
:confused:I have a Hummingbird 787c2, transducer mounted on stern right side, once I reach about 15mph unit looses depth and goes off the chart, I guess to cavitation. Would it help to relocate to left side, i dont know. Any suggestions would be great

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Sonar Woes

I've had really bad luck with humminbird units reading bottom at planing speeds. The transducer location is very tempermental. Moreso than other manufacturers. If the water is disturbed by or around the transducer you will loose bottom.

I've got a 987c and their online software updates have helped mine a bunch. (Its still not as solid as my Garmin was but Garmin aint got side scan :)

So I live with it!

If it's a normal 50/200 transducer many have had better luck by installing it in the bilge of their fiberglass boats.

bassinfan

Recruit

Thanks for the in info, I am going to relocate the transducer and see if that helps

John_S

Rear Admiral

HB transducers are usually more fun to find a good location, because they tend to be on the large side. You should have some height adjustment lattitude without remounting. Try running it a little deeper and/or shallower before removing and trying another location. To minimize the number of holes you put in the transom, consider using a transducer mounting board. Another alternative is purchasing the HB portable H/W (suction cup & bracket) for your transducer, such that you can hone in on the right location before drilling more holes.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer