1986 Boston Whaler Montauk Nav. Light Wiring

toolmankan

Cadet
I just purchased a 1986 Boston Whaler Montauk. The nav lights aren't working and the wiring looks screwy. Any OEM wiring diagrams out there? Or, better yet, ideas on how to re-wire with a "pull-pull" switch. I have a bow red/green light, and a stern "all-around anchor" light.

Thank you for your impartation of wisdom in this matter...

toolmankan

Cadet
Re: 1986 Boston Whaler Montauk Nav. Light Wiring

never mind on this, I bought new tinned copper 16ga, a relay block and found my bow wiring under the rub rail, port side. I temporarily hooked everything up and got it to work. I need to get some more length of wire to finish it up and make it clean, but the "dirty" part is done. Also, my new relay block allows me to clean up some weird wiring that was going on. Now i've got to figure out my gauge issue. Probably have to re-do all that wiring as well. Though it's a lot of work, it's a lot easier than patching, testing, failing and repeating that cycle.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Though it's a lot of work, it's a lot easier than patching, testing, failing and repeating that cycle.

Amen to that. If you have the wiring scrambled, then you spend most of your time searching for what is wrong. Get it clean and it is easier to find.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you already bought the 16 ga wire. I would recommend no smaller than #12.

toolmankan

Cadet

You would use 12ga or larger wire on x2 10 watt bulbs? That seems excessive to me. The run from the switch to the terminal block @ stern (for each: the ground and the two hots) is 12'
The run from the terminal block at the stern to the bow red/green 10watt bulb is 14 feet. Boston Whaler put the wiring (factory) within the rub rail (port side). There is no way you could put two strands of 12ga in there. It just wouldn't fit.
I think 16 ga is sufficient. I have a fire extinguisher if not.:)

toolmankan

Cadet

oh yea, I finished everything up last night. It all works beautifully. I also sprayed all the connections with "Corrosion X- XD" (the green can) for a little extra protection.

Tonight = clean the high flow jets and check for wiring issues with the gauge harness. Fun, Fun!