What size trolling motor do I use?

tony4pyro

Cadet
I want to put a trolling motor on my '86 Bayliner Capri. It is a 19', deep v-hull fiberglass boat. How much thrust do I need from the trolling motor, and does it matter if I mount it on the bow or on the transom? I am leaning toward the bow because it does not look like there is much room on the transom, but I could be wrong. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: What size trolling motor do I use?

I'm putting a bow mounted 55 lb thrust motorguide wireless on mine... 12v system..

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What size trolling motor do I use?

This primarily depends on the length of the boat and the additional weight (gear, people, and water logged foam) the boat may carry on your trips.

I found this website (http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/trolling_motors/engine_mount/freshwater.aspx) very helpful as there is a chart at the bottom of the page which will help you decide how many #'s thrust you need

The link refers to an engine mount trolling motor which could be useful if your space is limited.

I thought it was cool but not cost effective for my application, unless I win some unforseen $