Transducer mounting boards ?

Moody Blue

Captain
Getting ready to finish up the boat and need to install a transom mounted transducer and speed wheel.

This is a 39 yr old boat with a pristine transom and I don't want to drill any water leaks, I mean holes :rolleyes:.

Have heard of mounting a board of some sort to the transom then screwing the accy's to the board. What materials are/can be used and how can they be attached to the boat without drilling any holes?

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transducer mounting boards ?

you can always mount the transducer in the bilge, I've done this on my last three boats, just lay it down there in the bottom, some guys silicone it in but I never have, reads fine....these were fiberglass hulls though.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I know you'd probably want the paddle wheel outside the boat ;) but Cap's reply got me thinking that maybe you want different technology. I too had a puck transducer just sitting in the bilge under the motor in my I/O and it was fine. Use that and GPS and do you need the paddle at all? Just a thought.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

You're probably thinking about starboard. The trick is getting that stuff to stick with either 5200 or another sealant. Once the piece of starboard is fastened, you can use it to mount the 'ducer and wheel.
Starboard has a naturally oily finish to it and I hear a good acetone washdown and then some scouring with some 60 grit will help prep it for install. I have been told that silicone will not hold it.
Your post is timely, as I just got another boat, 22yrs old and nary a hole in the transom either and I have been pondering the technique to use to mount it. Probably an earlier post somewhere....:)

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm looking for the same thing and don't know where to get a scrap of starboard (I've also heard it called high molecular plastic) to make the ducer mounting plate. Been thinking of using a WallyWorld cutting board,,, but they are not very thick. I've seen them advertised at Cabelas for $20, but that seems kind of steep for a hunk of plastic.

Does anyone know how long it will take 5200 to dry on such a big surface with little air contact? Will misting the applied surface with water will help cure 5200???

mphy98

Lieutenant

Check with a good body shop for a good adhesive, they deal with fiberglass panels all the time. Our body shop had something in a tube that was two parts and mixed together at the end. They tell me it will hold up better than anything, stronger than a weld. They used lacquer thinner on the board then sandpaper then the glue. It won't budge now!!! The good side of this I can mount both transducers, and the paddle wheel with no holes in the boat.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Don't use the Wal Mart cutting boards. Reports on another forum said it starts to powder after about a year. Not something you want to be trying to peel off your transom. Still looking for the mounting epoxy.....

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not use a waterproof adheasive like Gorilla Glue or even Liquidnails?

Trick would be to prep the transom, apply the adheasive to both the mounting surface on the puck and on the transom. Let them sit for 10 minutes then apply it to the transom.

No leaks but you sure wont be getting it off anytime soon :D

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Use 3M 5200 marine sealant. GREAT STUFF! It takes a week to cure but will split your transom before it lets go!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I do not know what type hull you have, Wood, Fiberglass, Aluminum but there are many ways to mount it. In my case I have two transducer mounted one very large 200 Khz 8 degree transducer and one small 200 Khz 20 degree transducer and I only drilled one hole.

My hull is Aluminum and the small transducer is stuck on with Silcone seal. Been on there since 1981 with no problems. The large 8 degree transducer and the paddel wheel I did drill one hole but if I did it again I would not drill any. What I did was make a bracket where I could use the screw from the pitot tube to hold one side of the transducer. The other side I did drill and that screw holds both the transducer and the paddle wheel. All the transducer and the paddle wheel I put silicone seal under them first and it has held the entire time.

Here are two types of transducer mounts. I know Iboats also sells them but could not fine with the searches I tried. I know many use starboard like this but it is hard to work with I prefer aluminum.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

If I was to do mine again I would get a small block of aluminum about 1/4 to 3/8 thick and 4 to 6 inches square. I would position on the transom of the boat and mark to drill two transducer mounting holes I would then thread and mount the transducer to the aluminum. Then turn over and make sure the screw does not stick out the back side. Then I would use silicone glue and glue that block to the boat. Both mine right now will hold with just the silcone glue on the back side of the mounting bracket. A flat square of aluminum would hold forever. The good thing is you can remove with a screw driver as a pry bar with no damage. I did that to mine when I added the second transducer. I moved the Smaller one to the engine side of the pitot tube to make room for the bigger transducer and the Paddle wheel.

One thing you should do if you do like me and just glue with silicone glue is add a tie wrapp to cable as close to the transducer as you can. This is just in case the transducer hit a log or something and breaks loose. The Tie wrapp will stop the transducer from swinging on the cable and ending up hitting someone in the back of the boat.

With my setup I have hit loggs or sticks and the transducer kicked up in it bracket but the bracket staied solid to the hull so all I had to do was loosen the mounting bolt and fold it back down and tighten the bolt.

I do not know if it would work the same on Fiberglass or Wood but Silicone works good on aluminum. 4200 would hold even better but be harder to remove to reposition and 5200 would probably do damage if you tried to remove.

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used a 1/2" thick square piece of cutting board from the dollar store and attached it to the hull with 3M 5200 and its strong. I screwed the transducer into the cutting board and it has been on for over a year now and still works great. The piece of cutting board shows no signs of wear or anything. Another silicone product that will work well is Marine Goop.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with synergy141 on this one. half inch cheap cutting board cut into a small square. The only diference is I used 4200 instead of 5200 just in case I have to remove it. been good for over 2 years.

chad

Moody Blue

Captain

It seems the poly plastic is a popular choice. Problem as pointed out is the difficulty in gluing it. Did you guys use any special prep on the plastic before gluing? Polyethylene and polypropylene are naturally non-stick.

I was thinking of using PVC or Delrin instead. Easier to glue and UV stabilized. Any experience with these materials or alternates?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you have a router, rout a couple of dove tails in the back of the mounting plate to mechanically retain the 4200.

Fill the dove tails with 4200 and stick it to the transom with duct tape. Let dry for 24 hours and you?re good to go.

Moody Blue

Captain

Oh, very good idea. I'm sold on the approach now. The members here always come up with an answer or solution to a problem.

Thank you.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Isn't something that requires only the use of a screwdriver to remove it less intrusive on your transom than something that will require a grinder to remove it?

Just a thought.

newlyboating

Recruit

I very new at boating. I have a fiberglass boat and wanted to install depth finder/fishfinder. Not sure where to put it and how. Do I need to drill holes? What's the different between Thru-hull transducer and Transom mounting? If possible show pictures?

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen several posts regarding the use of polyethelyene boards for mounting a transducer sealed to a boat transom by using 3M 4200 or 5200. I cannot understand what routing a dovetail in the backside of the poly-board accomplishes other than maybe to hold additional adhesive. The surface energy (Dynes) of a thermoplastic polyethylene "cutting board" is very very low, thus is not conducive to a good bond of most any of the commercially available adhesives, including the urethane based 3m 5200. Additional adhesive placed in a dovetail on the back side mating surface of a piece of poly-board cannot increase the adhesion properties of an already difficult to bond material.