Bass Pro Trolling Motor

fishaholic20

Cadet
I've been looking into buying a 55 pound thrust trolling motor, but have been debating on which brand to get. I came across a deal at Bass Pro, they are selling a Bass Pro Prowler, 55lb thrust, 42" shaft bow mount with foot control for $300 (originally $450). Does anyone know anything about this model? I heard they are made by Motor Guide, but wasn't sure if this was the case. 300 bucks is tough to beat, as long as it performs well.

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Bass Pro Trolling Motor

I can confirm that they are made by Motorguide. You will need to review the BassPro VS Motorguide warrantee. Sometimes there are minor differences between the BassPro and equivelent Motorguide, too.

At that price, I assume it does not include variable speed. Variable speed might be imprtant to you to dial in a very slow crawl speed, and will help your batteries last longer before recharge.

fishaholic20

Cadet

Good to hear that they are made by motor guide. Thanks. Just checked out my Bass Pro ad and it actually does have variable speed control.

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually bought this motor last Friday at Bass Pro for $299. It does have variable speed (nice), also a smooth start feature (also nice), a speed meter and battery meter on the control head for easy viewing (also nice). Also has a composite lower shaft. I tried mine out Saturday. It was very quiet and had nice power.

Warranty: The manual for this motor says a 1 yr warranty. They guys at Bass Pro told me 2 but none of them had even seen the manual. (so I wouldn't count on 2 years)

Manufacturer: The guys at Bass Pro have said they have their own factory that makes them in China. So I don't think it's made by Motorguide. (But maybe Motorguide makes theirs at the same factory and just puts their name on it, I don't know)

Foot pedal looks like a Minn Kota, the rest kinda looks like a motorguide though.

I will be trying it out again this weekend. If you have any more questions, just let me know. So far I'm impressed, the only disappointing thing is that the warranty may only be for 1 year.

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I actually bought this motor last Friday at Bass Pro for $299. It does have variable speed (nice), also a smooth start feature (also nice), a speed meter and battery meter on the control head for easy viewing (also nice). Also has a composite lower shaft. I tried mine out Saturday. It was very quiet and had nice power.

Warranty: The manual for this motor says a 1 yr warranty. They guys at Bass Pro told me 2 but none of them had even seen the manual. (so I wouldn't count on 2 years)

Manufacturer: The guys at Bass Pro have said they have their own factory that makes them in China. So I don't think it's made by Motorguide. (But maybe Motorguide makes theirs at the same factory and just puts their name on it, I don't know)

Foot pedal looks like a Minn Kota, the rest kinda looks like a motorguide though.

I will be trying it out again this weekend. If you have any more questions, just let me know. So far I'm impressed, the only disappointing thing is that the warranty may only be for 1 year.

Does your Bass Pro motor have the Gator Flex mount like the Motorguides? Keep us informed about whether the mount starts to slide down and turn.

John_S

Rear Admiral

While I saw it in the BassPro circular, I didn't go look at it when I was in the Auburn store, last Sunday. From the circular, it looks like a MG Brute with a different mount.

fishrdan

Admiral

It does have variable speed

kinggabbo, does it have digital technology, no 1-5 speed settings, continuously variable speed? I read the add and didn't think it had digital technology?

I haven't seen this trolling motor in person so can't comment on how it looks or performs...

BUT, my experience of BPS branded products is they are cheap imitations of the real thing. I bought a few knock-off saltwater lures that fell apart quickly, returned them. Had one of their saltwater 4/0 reels that "looked" nice on the outside but was built cheap inside, sold it. And a few other BPS things that were cheaply made and left me disappointed.

I've seen a lot of BPS branded merchandise that looks very close to brand name merchandise, but I seriously doubt the quality is there. Then you have to wonder where you are going to get parts and/or service for it when it breaks???

Honestly, I don't know how good the BPS trolling motor is and how well it will hold up compared to a MinnKota or MotorGuide. Could be a great bargain (especially if it has digital technology WOW),,, could be a waste of money??? If I was buying a $100 trolling motor I might be tempted, but $300...

(off subject, I bought a 80# 50" shaft MotorGuide "Gator Mount" bow trolling motor from BPS during their spring sale a few years ago for $400, almost the same MotorGuie bow mount in their current add except no digital maximizer.)

Seems that BPS is trying to push their cheap import "store branded" merchandise instead of giving their customers a nice deal on a quality USA made product.

I'll get down off my soap box now... :D

Hope the trolling motor works out good for you kinggabbo, let us know how it does.

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The last time I was in my Bass Pro store, I walked back to the outlet center where they have all the stuff that has been returned. You would not believe the number of the Prowler hand control motors there were. Stacks and stacks of them. I thought to myself that it was too many to have been returned. The quality control must have been terrible.

Also I have found that the prices at Bass Pro are not the best. I have an Academy Sports store in my town and if the same identical item is sold by both stores, Academy Sports will have the better price. For example, a Reese trailer coupler I bought from Academy Sports for $14.99 cost $21.99 at Bass Pro. The exact same model. Granted Bass Pro does have more to choose from. In my refurbishing project I am doing (14' CollinsCraft and trailer), I have bought most of the parts from Academy Sports.

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kabcpapc: Don't know if it is like the Gator Flex mount for sure because I've never used one. From what I've seen in pictures of the Gator, this mount looks similar and it does have breakaway. But not 360 degree breakaway. All I've had before this is a Motorguide 15 mount.

fishrdan: Nothing I've read in the manual or ad says digital technology but it does have the infinitely variable speeds. Not just 5 speeds. Does that mean it is digital?

As far as whether it's a good product or not, we'll see. When I got it I thought the warranty was for two years.

I hope I get to try it out again this weekend. Will be a good time to test it since it will be windy. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

fishrdan

Admiral

fishrdan: Nothing I've read in the manual or ad says digital technology but it does have the infinitely variable speeds. Not just 5 speeds. Does that mean it is digital?

Yup, if it has infinite variable speeds it has digital technology, pulse width modulation electronics sending power to the motor instead of the old inefficient speed coil design. $300 is a smoking deal as comparable bow mount motors would be over twice the price,,, but I still wonder about the quality.

My take on the BPS branded merchandise is that BPS rips off the designs from their suppliers (Minnkota - MotorGuide,,, Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, etc, etc) and sells their BPS branded product at a reduced price, for a much higher profit margin. The outside appearance of their product might look very close to the real McCoy, but it's whats inside that counts. By putting inferior components inside, BPS can sell the product cheaper.

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice to know that it's digital. That should help the battery last longer too, correct?

Yeah I also question the quality of the motor. But is it that much worse than the low end Motorguide or Minn Kota (which would've been all I could afford)? I don't know. I figured it was just $300 so I would take a chance. I am really excited about it though. Hopefully, if I take care of it well, it will last.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Yup, if it has infinite variable speeds it has digital technology, pulse width modulation electronics sending power to the motor instead of the old inefficient speed coil design. $300 is a smoking deal as comparable bow mount motors would be over twice the price,,, but I still wonder about the quality.

Twice the price sets off my "reasonableness" alarm. ;) Infinite speed does not always mean "digital" or PWM. My very first trolling motor had infinite speed. That old Herter's unit just had a rheostat. It gives the ability to slow down to a crawl, but it does not have any battery saving capability. If it does, that is great, but as you alude to, where else did they get the $ out?

The Prowler transom mounts are not close to a 50% discount. I thought the BP catalog use to say "made by Motorguide", but don't see it in the '09 catalog. They had a BassPro version of the wireless, last year. It was like $50 less than the MG wireless, but you didn't get the free MG keyfob offer.

If these are not made by MG, BP probably has a licence from MG, to build etc.

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Twice the price sets off my "reasonableness" alarm. ;) Infinite speed does not always mean "digital" or PWM. My very first trolling motor had infinite speed. That old Herter's unit just had a rheostat. It gives the ability to slow down to a crawl, but it does not have any battery saving capability. If it does, that is great, but as you alude to, where else did they get the $ out?

The Prowler transom mounts are not close to a 50% discount. I thought the BP catalog use to say "made by Motorguide", but don't see it in the '09 catalog. They had a BassPro version of the wireless, last year. It was like $50 less than the MG wireless, but you didn't get the free MG keyfob offer.

Yeah I was thinking that they could've used a potentiometer to get the infinite speeds as well, right? And that's analog. Oh well. I took it Saturday in high winds and it did great. Ultra quiet but still has good power. I guess time will tell if it lasts or not.

fishrdan

Admiral

Infinite speed does not always mean "digital" or PWM. My very first trolling motor had infinite speed. That old Herter's unit just had a rheostat.

Ahh,,, good call on the possibility of a rheostat. And now that you mention it, the add does not say digital, so that would make a whole lot more sense that they use a rheostat instead of electronics to control the motor speed, especially at $300. I guess the only way to find out would be to take it apart or look at a schematic / parts breakdown.

When I first looked at BP trollers a few years ago I thought MG, but from looking at the bow mount it appears to be a cross between MG and MK. One of the guys commented that a BPS employee said made in China, so I assume they are not made in the US (you know what they say about as* U me ing:)) Maybe speced by MG or MK and built in China?

John_S

Rear Admiral

My guess comes from the transom mount Prowlers. The mounting bracket and motor look like MG. The plastic "head" may be different, and possibly the tiller handle. The BassPro version of the MG Wireless was vitually a clone. Could not detect any differences.

While I don't know about BassPro, my son worked for Gander Mnt for 3 years. For the most part, it is all passed on rumors about who makes what store branded stuff. In this case, BassPro would be better off with a MG rumor, than saying China, IMHO.

tubebait

Recruit

so any more news on how this is holding up i am thinking of getting one they are on sale for 279 now

kunuter

Cadet

I'm curious if they have held up over the summer. Have those that bought them used them a lot? I'm thinking of buying one for my boat and wonder if it is worth it. Thanks!

KRCreole

Recruit

The Bass Pro trolling motor(Prowler) is made by Haibo a chinese Co, not motor guide or Minn Kota. It is a 'throw away' since no parts can be bought so when it breaks use it as an anchor. It works well for a year or two then the plastic in the switch becomes brittle and breaks. Bass Pro does not recommend any repair shops or parts suppliers for this motor. This is a POS and you are better off spending a few extra bucks for a durable unit that will last longer. If you have one take care not to force the switch in the wrong direction. When the switch goes bad, and it will, experiment with bypassing the switch and adding a toggle switch. This will give you one speed only that will put it back in service. But it ain't worth the trouble!!! Better still salvage the prop and buy a Motor Guide and use it as a spare!

Last edited:

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

KRCreole, I wish I had read your post 1 week and 1/2 ago. I just returned a brand new Prowler bow mount because the power switch didn't work. It worked in a small spot, but as soon as I tried to rotate the switch to increase or decrease the power, it lost all power. I bought it on clearance for $225. BPS was really good about taking it back though.

The transom mount Prowlers seem to have good reviews - even years after purchase. I wonder if it is just the bow mount varieties that cut-corners? I didn't see any other bow mount Prowlers (with foot pedals) in the store, and don't see any on their website. Wonder if BPS is dropping the bow mount Prowlers?

A BPS worker told me that the Prowlers are made by Motor Guide - but I've heard a few people like yourself say that isn't true.