trolling motor on a ski boat

chrisanita

Recruit
I am relatively new to boating. I have a Celebrity 21 Cuddy with a platform in the rear for diving, swimming, etc for the kids. I also love to fish and would like to know if I can get a trolling motor that clamps on this platform that can be easily removed if we are tubing and not fishing. What size motor would I need for this size boat and what other accessories would I need. Thanks in advance
C

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trolling motor on a ski boat

you will be much better off with a bow mount wireless remote control 24 volt trolling motor. stern mount will be a waste of time and money. moving to electrical.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Tash. As for extras, you would need two group 24 or 27 deep cycle batteries to power it. You cannot use the engine start battery as one of them, unless you like to paddle.

chrisanita

Recruit

My bow is pretty high from the water-about 4-5 ft. Do I need a professional to do the installation? What would a ball park figure for a middle of the road brand. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You need to measure from the bow to the water line and add a foot to 18 inches to determine the shaft length for the motor. Don't know the longest shaft Minnkota or MotorGuide have available. As for installation, it depends on whether you understand electrics (series wiring) and basic strength of materials and mounting hardware selection. If these are foreign terms, you had best let a pro do it. If you are familiar with all of this, its a snap. You are probably looking at units in the 650 - 900 buck range. Check right here on iBoats.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

high bow, add 24 inches if you can get one that long.