Help Motorguide troubles

Txcatfish72

Recruit
I have a 2003 motor guide 43lb thrust trolling motor. Sunday it simply stopped working. All was going well and then nothing. After investigation I found that the inline glass fuse was broken. Since this time every fuse I put in it breaks. I have swapped out the fuse with a 40 amp circuit breaker, based on advise from my service shop. But it still pops after slowly spinning the prop for 4 seconds. The prop slowly spins and then I hear the pop. Is my trolling motor dead? Under the foot pedestal the connectors get really hot before the popping the switch. What should I do next? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TX

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Motorguide troubles

With the power plug disconnected, turn the propeller by hand. If it turns freely there is apparently a wiring or internal problem. If it seems to turn harder than it should, remove the prop and check for fish line or other debris (weeds, etc) that can cause the motor to turn hard. This restriction causes extremely high current draw that pops the breaker. You might also try setting the speed control on each speed and see if any of them work without popping the breaker.

Txcatfish72

Recruit

The prop seemed to turn freely. I removed the top cover to discover that the zip tie had rub the red and black wire coating off. This was causing a short. After a guick repair of these wires all is working well know.

Thanks

TX

:)

Randall Pugh

Recruit

Your pain was my gain. Thank you for posting your problem. I have a 54lb Motorguide trolling motor. It did just what happened to you. I had gone through all the wiring and pulled the electrical windings to see if there had been any welding going on. Found nothing. Thought maybe it was the switches. Then My wife found your message. I went back out and pulled the top again. And yes there was the problem. Could not see it untill I pulled the wires apart. Then found the black and blue had married. He he. Now it is running fine. Infact I am going to put it back on the water today. Thank you for posting your problem in detail. That made me look a little harder.
Randall Pugh