Old Silvertrol Trolling motor?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
I just stumbled on what might be a deal on a Silvertrol trolling motor
model 26-s Serial number 16358 6 to 18 volt has high and low speed and it works. I only paid $1 for it at a yard sale. The lady said at the yard sale that she was getting rid of it for what it would bring in scrap metal the sales tag on it said make an offer I talked her down from $2 to $1. It is missing a knob to tighten down the mounting braking to the transom but the bolt is still there, also the top part seems to turn on the shaft but does seem to lock down where you can turn the motor. Also I noticed it has a broke spot where the mounting braket tightens down to the shaft but it has a cuffling with a set screw to tighten it down where you can set the depth. I guess it wont hurt hooking it to a modern battery.

My questions are....

1. How collectable are these motors?
2. How old is this thing?
3. How much would the be worth?

Picture048.jpg

Picture046.jpg

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Old Silvertrol Trolling motor?

Cool. Those are marginally collectible, but not worth a lot. You might get $25 on ebay for it. They're cooler to use on your boat, though. The big problem with very old electric trollers is that the seals on the propellor shaft are often hardened and don't seal well. That can allow water into the motor, and that spells trouble.

Fortunately, it's probably something you can replace with a modern equivalent, but you'd have to disassemble the lower unit to find out.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Cool. Those are marginally collectible, but not worth a lot. You might get $25 on ebay for it. They're cooler to use on your boat, though. The big problem with very old electric trollers is that the seals on the propellor shaft are often hardened and don't seal well. That can allow water into the motor, and that spells trouble.

Fortunately, it's probably something you can replace with a modern equivalent, but you'd have to disassemble the lower unit to find out.

Sounds somewhat promising, I'll take a $24 profit would like to see more though. I wanna say that I have seen similar trolling motors in the past but I can't remember how much they went for. Where else would be a good place to sell this thing, AOMCI.org or com Atique outboard website?

How old is very old Cat?

I was reading a document on a website just a moment ago that one company was trying to out do the silvertrol back in 61, and that silvertrol was out/invented 30 years before then. Of coarse there has to be truth to that.

Here is the site I discovered.

http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=125,63660&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Bump.

I have came across this link

http://books.google.com/books?id=ei...g=9rPflAos0_OhNxTotoDv2SzTsuA&hl=en#PPA185,M1

On page 185 on the left hand side of the page it has a little information about the silvertrol trolling motor. I still haven't figured out the year yet, I would love to find out what it is.

The one part I am confused about is, where it says on page 185 that "Some of Silver Creek's first models had the word "Silvertrol" cast into the steering handle. The firm also private branded for the likes of Sears and Western Auto.

So is this saying that Silvertrol and Silver Creek are 2 different companys and that Silver Creek replicated a trolling motor that was originally made by Silvertrol? Or.....Is it saying Silvertrol and Silver Creek are the same company? :confused:

If Silver Creek is a different company then I guess this could possibly be a newer motor. Or Silver Creek is a company that just casted the Silvertrol name on to the trolling motor's handle? I'm am so confused, the article talks like silver creek and silvertrol are 2 different companies. Also the skeg looks different between the one in the picture and mine.

How in the world woud I find out what year this thing is?

And.....Is it authentic?

Is the year somewhere in the serial number or model number?
Or.......Would the model number half to be looked up to find out the year?